Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External insulation on a house with cracks

Options
  • 19-05-2020 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

My house has hairline cracks on the external walls in about 7 different places and I'm thinking of putting external insulation on the house exterior to insulate the house and cover up the cracks for good. My question is, will the cracks reappear on the insulation outside when the job is complete? I'd appreciate any advice on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Pictures or diagram....

Where exactly are cracks? How old is house....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hairlines wont appear again but if there is movement, the cracks could reoccur on the surface. The insulation systems have plastic mesh incorporated to bond over the insulation board joints but this will equally prevent cracks coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

mad m wrote: »
    Pictures or diagram....

Where exactly are cracks? How old is house....

House 20 years old, no pictures, sorry, hairline cracks are vertical mainly under window cills and are about two feet long, one crack is about 4 feet long. This is a hipped roof bungalow, so no gables. Thanks.

Advertisement