Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I due my notice pay while furloughed if I quit?

Options
  • 19-05-2020 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi,

I was furloughed back in March and have been getting the Covid unemployment payment of €350 a week.

I’ve managed to secure a new job. I let my employer know and they are telling me I’m not due any payment from them?

I thought I would be due my month’s notice full pay off them? Been in the company over 18 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fant11 wrote: »

I thought I would be due my month’s notice full pay off them? Been in the company over 18 months.

Ahh, no.

You only get notice pay if you actually work the notice. You're not working it cos there's no work to do.

Start the new job as soon as you can, and don't forget to sign off the Covid-dole

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Hi,

I was furloughed back in March and have been getting the Covid unemployment payment of €350 a week.

I’ve managed to secure a new job. I let my employer know and they are telling me I’m not due any payment from them?

You're a gas man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Hi,

Ah here did you really think that was the case...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Fant11

I was effectively made redundant when furloughed. The furlough would have eventually been turned into a redundancy in a few weeks/months time.

Would have thought I was due some pay from the employer?

How would it work if I was there 10 years and the company furloughed me with a view to permanently letting me go. Would I also be due nothing?

I was effectively made redundant when furloughed. The furlough would have eventually been turned into a redundancy in a few weeks/months time.

How would it work if I was there 10 years and the company furloughed me with a view to permanently letting me go. Would I also be due nothing?

You can be sure a good few companies are going to chance that one anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Read this regarding redundancy during period of lay off due to compliance with Covid emergency legislation

https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/news-media/workplace_relations_notices/lay-offs-due-to-covid-19.html

Also, how are you claiming a redundancy situation/payment when you terminated your own employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Fant11

Dav010 wrote: »
    Read this regarding redundancy during period of lay off due to compliance with Covid emergency legislation

https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/news-media/workplace_relations_notices/lay-offs-due-to-covid-19.html

Also, how are you claiming a redundancy situation/payment when you terminated your own employment?

Fair enough now for my own situation I understand.

Does seem a bit odd though that companies could furlough employees who have worked years indefinitely and not have to provide them with a redundancy payment if they are effectively pushed out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

What may or may not happen in a few weeks/months time isn't really relevant to the situation of a former empoyee who chose to resign of their own volition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Does seem a bit odd though that companies could furlough employees who have worked years indefinitely and not have to provide them with a redundancy payment if they are effectively pushed out the door.

You quit, you weren’t made redundant. What may or may not have happened in the coming weeks has no bearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You need to have 104 weeks of continuous service to qualify for redundancy payment, as you are there 18months, you would not qualify anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

You may have an entitlement to holiday pay and possibly to bank holiday pay - you'd need to check as I'm not certain of the mechanics of how these work during furlough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Furlough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

There's no furlough scheme in Ireland. If you were claiming the €350 pandemic unemployment benefit then you had been let go already. It might have been on the hope that the company would take you back on when the crisis was over/when they were able to reopen. The only scheme in Ireland where employees were retained on the books is the wage subsidy scheme where you would have been paid through your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's no furlough scheme in Ireland. If you were claiming the €350 pandemic unemployment benefit then you had been let go already. It might have been on the hope that the company would take you back on when the crisis was over/when they were able to reopen. The only scheme in Ireland where employees were retained on the books is the wage subsidy scheme where you would have been paid through your employer.

This is not correct.

Read about it here: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/redundancy/lay_off_short_time_working_and_redundancy.html

OP, enjoy your new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Maybe they mean there is no 'furlough' scheme in Ireland... as in, using the word 'furlough'.

Advertisement