Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating steel frame before build

Options
  • 18-05-2020 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Will be building up steel frame over coming months, and wondering what is the best way to treat the frame itself prior to build.

Anyone use internal treatment/rust inhibitor? What advise to use to protect/tart up paint job?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

Alanbt wrote: »
    Will be building up steel frame over coming months, and wondering what is the best way to treat the frame itself prior to build.

Anyone use internal treatment/rust inhibitor? What advise to use to protect/tart up paint job?

Cheers!

I used waxoyl internally on my steel MTB frame but now regret it as it's a git to get out and I want to re-powder coat it 9 years later. Will dribble out during the cooking process and ruin the finish.

Unless your bike is living outside I don't think it needs it.

Externally - invisframe, expensive but my MTB looks brand new despite 18 months of use. They do a lot of specific frame kits and some generic ones for steel frames etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

Boiled linseed oil is another product that is used. Easily found in a hardware store.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Isn't invisframe just helitape with a 100% markup or is a bit more pliable and easier to put on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Alanbt

saccades wrote: »
    I used waxoyl internally on my steel MTB frame but now regret it as it's a git to get out and I want to re-powder coat it 9 years later. Will dribble out during the cooking process and ruin the finish.

Unless your bike is living outside I don't think it needs it.

Externally - invisframe, expensive but my MTB looks brand new despite 18 months of use. They do a lot of specific frame kits and some generic ones for steel frames etc.

Seems to be MTB focussed offering but wasn’t planning on wrapping the frame tbh. More seeing if any tips for clear coat, wax etc for external treating. Cheers

David6330 wrote: »
    Boiled linseed oil is another product that is used. Easily found in a hardware store.

Cheers for that. Might try pick some up at weekend and spray in frame.

Anyone used Weigle frame Saver? Comes up a lot on google but not readily available in many places. Worth the hassle of finding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

ACF-50 as used on motorcycles for weather protection, would it be any use? Still, unless the bike is being stored outside exposed to the elements is any treatment, bar pre-build cleaning, required at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

MojoMaker wrote: »
    ACF-50 as used on motorcycles for weather protection, would it be any use? Still, unless the bike is being stored outside exposed to the elements is any treatment, bar pre-build cleaning, required at all?

Bike will be inside so probably just clean and wax. Was just wondering if anything I’m not aware of out there

clod71 wrote: »

Hard to find that locally

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Let me know if you do turn up something, I have a steel frame coming to me soon and will start to prepare it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

Weepsie wrote: »
    Isn't invisframe just helitape with a 100% markup or is a bit more pliable and easier to put on?

Going off my tight arsed mates versions and the internet, it's a premium helitape that is very easy to work with and it's custom cut to the frame design.

If you have a frame that invisframe doesn't have the template for they'll fit for free whilst they take a template.

Even my orange with its idiosyncratic welds was easy to fit and 18 months later the bike looks new. A couple of the cheaper versions are no where near as good looking for the same age.

Advertisement