Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubiquiti & Virgin Media

Options
  • 18-05-2020 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I currently have Virgin Media 240mb broadband and looking to update my network to use the Ubiquiti eco-system.

My Plan would be to put the router in bridge mode and connect to a USG and a switch.

main question has anyone done this and had any issue with Virgin Media in bridge mode to build there network.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

ipodrocker wrote: »
    Hi all,

I currently have Virgin Media 240mb broadband and looking to update my network to use the Ubiquiti eco-system.

My Plan would be to put the router in bridge mode and connect to a USG and a switch.

main question has anyone done this and had any issue with Virgin Media in bridge mode to build there network.

Works perfectly. I originally had this setup with the Edgerouter and now the USG. Running it for over 2 years with no issues at all.

Before installing Ubiquiti I had lots of problems using the Virgin Media modem to manage my network.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Maybe you should consider the Dream Machine or Pro depending on your requirement or plans for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Those Dream Machines looks like some serious kit for a home user. Any idea if you can replace your VM \ VF router with it or do you need to keep both?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

I open to either systems from my reading will need to keep the VM router as have to switch it to mode mode and then the VM box would plugin into the USG or Dream Machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Dazzy wrote: »
    Maybe you should consider the Dream Machine or Pro depending on your requirement or plans for the future.

I have a few wired devices not loads so UDM pro would be overkill

also trying plan network build and best location if I went the Rack route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Having nothng but problems with this VM router. Lookin for an alternative route. This Dream Machine seems to be the answer to all my problems reading up on it. I have a lot of ethernet connections (more than the 6 provided on it!) but have a 10 port unmanaged switch... do I need this replacing as well or will this dream machine accept this NORMAL piece of hardware!!! (lookin at cost!)
    Anyone use it with VM ?? thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    Having nothng but problems with this VM router. Lookin for an alternative route. This Dream Machine seems to be the answer to all my problems reading up on it. I have a lot of ethernet connections (more than the 6 provided on it!) but have a 10 port unmanaged switch... do I need this replacing as well or will this dream machine accept this NORMAL piece of hardware!!! (lookin at cost!)

If you have to ask this the dream machine isnt for you, its aimed at prosumers.

With Virgin you cant remove the compal and it being a pile of **** even bridged you're in for trouble if you create enough PPS.

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »

The 10 port unmanaged switch can be plugged into one of the ports on the UDM.

I plan to purchase it shortly, once i have cabled some of the house, and use it with VF but I expect between VF \ VM it's much of muchness.

Unless you want some of the extra functionality, and depending on the your plans for APs', you might be better off with something like the Amplify Alien. It's comparative price wise and a serious piece of kit. Cons are that it is sold out right now and can't be expanded in the same way that a UDM can be...two completely separate products for different audiences but might suit you (or not). Worth taking a look though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 wayguk

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my network and I would be interested in any guidance/how to steps on this subject. I have the Virgin Media Super Hub 3.0. I will switch it to Modem Mode and then connect the USG to it.

Which port do I need to use from the Virgin Media Super Hub 3.0, or does it matter?
    What specific settings are needed to get the USG to have a successful link to the WWW?

If anyone has implemented this previously and has documented it can you please share a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

ED E wrote: »
    If you have to ask this the dream machine isnt for you, its aimed at prosumers.

With Virgin you cant remove the compal and it being a pile of **** even bridged you're in for trouble if you create enough PPS.

Stumbled across this old thread searching about broadband and I see this reply to my question.
    You couldnt have been more wrong!!! I got it back in June and its the best thing Ive done to fix all my broadband problems.
    No more trouble. It was SIMPLE to set up. Worth the money to sort out all the wifi problems you read with that brutal hub router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its still 100% overkill for most users. €100 TP would have given you the same results.

ED E wrote: »
    Its still 100% overkill for most users. €100 TP would have given you the same results.

Agree. I have a UDM and while it works wonderfully, it's definitely overkill. To make matters worse (for me) I just got another AP (AC-Pro) for to add to my network because the internet in the back garden was poor at times...

Even though it is overkill, I love it :p My internet issue have vanished and I have a shiny new toy.

Advertisement