Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting laptop to 'net via mobile

Options
  • 18-05-2020 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Was wondering how to go about connecting a laptop (which does not have a sim) via a mobile 'phone?

What hardware/software is required? I think I recall a colleague doing same and they used a "dongle" (I think) to do so. Though I don't know if there's some specific type I should get etc.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be very much appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭snickers

Turn on personal hotspot on your phone search for phone in your wireless networks on laptop select phone input the password under personal hotspot and away you go .

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭snickers

Turn on personal hotspot on your phone search for iPhone in your wireless networks on laptop select iPhone input the password under personal hotspot and away you go .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭This is it

You need to enable "mobile hotspot" on your phone. This will act as your wireless router using your SIM. When you look for WiFi connections you will see your phone and you can then select it to connect. You will have already set a password and changed the SSID when enabling it or you can change it in the hotspot settings on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Smythe

snickers wrote: »
    Turn on personal hotspot on your phone search for iPhone in your wireless networks on laptop select iPhone input the password under personal hotspot and away you go .

Should have mentioned my 'phone is Android.

Smythe wrote: »

Most have a hotspot option, won't matter if it's iPhone or Android

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Go to tethering and personal hotspot in your settings and off you go

Go to tethering and personal hotspot in your settings and off you go

Apologies, I'm not particularly tech savvy. How do I get to tethering? I have the on-screen App icons on my mobile. Is there an icon to get to this, or perhaps it's through Settings?

Can you swipe down from the top of the screen and get an option menu? Start off the screen, swipe down and you should get options for WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.

You should have hotspot in these options, but may have to swipe down a second time and even across to access.

What phone is it exactly, might be easier to help.

Apologies, I'm not particularly tech savvy. How do I get to tethering? I have the on-screen App icons on my mobile. Is there an icon to get to this, or perhaps it's through Settings?

It is in your settings as said in my post, go in to your settings in to wireless settings and it should be in there, I have a p30 Pro and that is where mine is if you have a different layout get your model and Google how to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Go to YouTube... Video will be better than back and forth questions..

• Advertisement

go in to your settings in to wireless settings and it should be in there,

Thanks - I've found "Tethering & portable hotspot". So once this is switched on, the mobile and laptop can communicate wirelessly (they'd be sitting beside each other)?

I don't need to "connect" them in any sense?

On most android phones you need to swipe down the notification shade and long press on the mobile data setting icon. Or you can access via the main settings menu under mobile data (maybe in a connectivity menu).

Thanks - I've found "Tethering & portable hotspot". So once this is switched on, the mobile and laptop can communicate wirelessly (they'd be sitting beside each other)?

I don't need to "connect" them in any sense?

No you don't physically have to connect them just make sure you put in the password if there is one like a broadband connection

No you don't physically have to connect them just make sure you put in the password if there is one like a broadband connection

Okay - thanks.

Okay - thanks.

No bother

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

OP said the phone doesn't have a sim in it so surely it doesn't have mobile data to hotspot to?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

OP said the phone doesn't have a sim in it so surely it doesn't have mobile data to hotspot to?

He said the laptop doesn't have a Sim...

He said that the laptop doesn't have a sim

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

He said the laptop doesn't have a Sim...

Yup, see that now. Seen no sim and assumed they actually meant the phone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it's a new enough phone and new enough computer you could also try USB tether.
    Settings - Connection & Sharing - USB tethering.

The advantage is that your phone charges and you don't need to put in a password.

The disadvantage is that you may not be able to put your phone where it gets the best signal and the connection drops when you take the phone away with you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement