Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving wheel for PC - suggestions?

Options
  • 17-05-2020 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭

So I play a few driving sims using an old Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 joystick and in the main they work well, but a wheel is something I've thought about on and off and I'm thinking I might treat myself.

From what I have seen most of the recommended ones are now end of life or several hundred euro. I've no problem with used but I don't want to spend a fortune either. If its used/older it'll have to work with win 10 too of course.

Another consideration is that it has to be easily mounted and removed as I use the desk setup for work as well. Shifter/gearstick not essential as I drive an automatic in real life too :p

One final thing is that I don't want something that looks like someone just wedged a PS4 controller into the centre if that makes sense. One thing that I like about the Sidewinder is its clean design.

I don't want much really do I? :D. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

G29 is what you want, it is by far the best starter wheel setup, connected/disconnected to/from desk in seconds.
    Used to be about the €200 mark but with the virus they are not being manufactured atm so prices are sky high i bought an almost new one adverts.ie recently for €250 , ive used higher end wheels in the past but G29 is perfect for plug and play.
    After that your looking at the belt driven wheels like Fanatec CSL elite and Clubsport €600+ and €750+, after that your into direct drive territory where wheel alone will cost €1200+.

Thrustmaster do some also but after using a T300 alcantara that developed two unusable issues after a day i do not recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

+1 on the G29, i picked up one in Currys in the north with pedals and gearstick for ~180euro( they have the same sale 3-4 times a year )

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cheers for that guys. Will check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Had a G29 at one point aswell,was great.

Advertisement