Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing stairs to attic

Options
  • 16-05-2020 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi

Hoping to get some feedback on an idea i am mulling over. Basically i want to simplify access to the attic of a two storey semi detached on the shared wall side.

The current roof space is a truss and i dont believe its worth doing a full attic conversation as the amount of overall available space wouldnt justify the cost for me and we have other areas of the home to focus that level of investment.

I believe there might be enough space for a small storage area that i hope to use as somewhere to work from home as i think i will be doing so for the most of the coming year and my current setup is not good.

I am hoping that it would be possible to sheet off the area with minimal disruption to the existing structure on assumption it would not compromise its integrity and therefore avoid the cost of getting steel put in. I understand and appreciate that it would not qualify as a liveable space and would more or less constitute basically a clean attic area.

There are three 'hanging' beams and two crossing beams that limit the space. i was wondering if it would be advisible to push the hanging ones back to the side (actually in line with other hanging beams). one of the cross beams could potentially stay put as its close to the party wall and may not impede access.

I would be interested in an informal opinion on that (on the grounds that i would need to get proper advice from an engineer).

The other aspect, and this might be a bit wacky, but the staircase i am imagining would start about four feet up from the existing floor to avoid losing space on the first floor. To have a full length stair case would require squeezing into an adjoining box bedroom which is already tiny. My contention is that it would be an access method that is better than a stira but not as effective as a proper full length staircase.
    In theory it would be closed off and disguised as a cupboard and a short ladder inside that could be used to cover off the first three steps. In practice i would not envisage even needing the ladder myself.

To all intensive purposes it would be just an access route to a sheeted off area in the attic (the existing attic access point would be covered over and approriate access in the sheeting to access the unsheeted area of the attic).

The main reason for the compromises are to reduce cost, minimize any changes as regards existing layout and hopefully eliminate structural changes.

In terms of the attic space, i envisage stud walls with insulation inside and ideally a velux window. It would become an insulated part of the attic with a small electric heater and the window to open for hot summer days.

Any thoughts, opinions or feedback would be greatly appreciated - particularly around budget.

I have attached images to give an idea of what i am raving about.

Cheers
    KK

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Get a pull down styra stairs.
    All your other options involve opening a permanent hole to the attic level thus creating a new accessible storey and then that brings along all the fire and structural regs plus the others such as part L, F etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

As above, the fire regs etc will kill this project.

A good quality styra or similar would work, perhaps have door at the top to reduce heat loss and fit a velux window at the right height in the attic space to act as a fire escape: not to comply with anything, just to be safe.
    Solar gain in the summer will be a problem so you will need the window.
    Normal FG or XPS etc wont cut it

Can you post some attic pictures without any picasso alterations pls :)
    What depth are the ceiling joists, you will crack the pb.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

Thanks Gumbo & Calahonda for taking the time out to respond.
    I appreciate the information.

Can i ask why would regs not kick in for a stira? do they come into force based on the type of access - i thought (mistakenly) that it was the type of usage of the space.
    For example, if i changed the staircase to be a removable ladder then would be more 'compliant' (block up the existing attic access and make this the sole access point).
    Is it a case that a stira or non fixed access just gives you plausible deniability that the attic space wasnt for any real use? (Is storing stuff up there right now allowed (ie christmas tree / baby stuff thats put away for possible future use)? I understand alright that the roof isnt constructed to hold weight but there is a water tank up there so it is capable of holding a certain amount of weight.

If i did go the stira approach and put up sheeting a desk etc would i be technically required to meet those regulations (again i thought the key bit is how the attic space is used and not how you get there).

I had thought of a stira but the existing access point is right in the middle of the usable space so it would impinge greatly on its usefulness. Also, in my imagination i just dont see it working on a day to day basis having the ladder down as two bedrooms and the only bathroom would be at least partially blocked. Also with two kids under four i know for sure they would be attracted to the stira especially if i was up there working. I guess as absurd as my idea is, it would fit neatly. In my head i could get up and down without causing noise etc for sleeping children.

@Calahonda
    'What depth are the ceiling joists, you will crack the pb.'

Sorry i amnt sure, i think they are 4 inches but could be wrong - the pics are acutally from when we moved in 4 years ago so operating from memory.
    I would be wary alright of being careful of the weight of stuff that might end up being put up there.

I forgot to mention that it is a hipped truss roof so bearly half the length of the roof would be feasible (hence not wanting to go down the road of a full conversion). Have added the original pics without my artistic efforts and one of the outside. Just fyi the attic ones are all from standing in the same spot and capturing from left to right.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Haven't had time to read the thread in detail because it's a bit long but the guys above will be spot on if they mention fire and structural specifics.

Just want to point out that what you have is a "cut" roof not a "trussed" roof. That changes what you need to do structurally in quite a significant way. (With the over riding don't cut any timber without an engineer designing it still being applicable.)

Advertisement