Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a headset to a noob

Options
  • 16-05-2020 10:54pm

I have a PS4 Pro I hardly use but have been picking up a few of the VR games in sales over the last few months. I also have a PC I put together last August: 16GB RAM, Ryzen 5 2600 and MSI Geforce GTX 1660. Again been keeping an eye out for VR games in sales, Humble Bundles.

There's the PSVR for PS4, Oculus Quest which is independent of PC or console and then I think the choice is Rift S or Valve Index. Not sure what to go for really.

Just looking for some advice please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If your PC is powerful enough to run VR, then go for Rift S or Quest ... Valve Index is great, but really expensive and you need to setup trackers with wires around your room.

The Rift S and Quest both track using just the headset and no external wires required. The Quest has the advantage of being completely wireless too, but it's probably 95% as good as a Rift S when plugged in (few tiny artifacts in the distance which you probably won't notice)

If your PC is not powerful enough then you can either go for Quest or PSVR. PSVR has more games and many discount sales, though Quest has the wireless aspect but sales not quite so often.

PSVR is great... just not quite as pristine an experience (few more artifacts on screen than the Oculus headsets).

Saying that though, I still play my PSVR regularly.

Think of it as 720p for PSVR vs 4K for Rift S/Quest. Both are perfectly acceptable formats to watch a movie on but one just has the edge over the other.

Yeah I'm leaning towards a Quest now. I looked at a Youtube unboxing of the PSVR and the extra equipment like the camera and processor unit have dampened my enthusiam for it somewhat. I've too many wires and plugs as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Yeah I'm leaning towards a Quest now. I looked at a Youtube unboxing of the PSVR and the extra equipment like the camera and processor unit have dampened my enthusiam for it somewhat. I've too many wires and plugs as it is.

Quest is amazing you won't regret it.

Advertisement