Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance settlement offer

Options
  • 16-05-2020 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

So I was involved in a car accident March 2019 and suffered soft tissue injury to my neck and an MRI showed a bulging disc in my back. I was assessed by the PIAB doctor in February and he wasn’t happy with my back and asked for another MRI. In the meantime the PIAB cancelled all medical appointments due to Covid-19 and I can’t get an MRI so basically in limbo.

My solicitor emailed me Friday to say she had been contacted by the respondents insurer wanting to enter settlement talks.

If I agree to discuss settlement and the offer is not what I think is fair, can I just retreat from the discussion and continue with my injury boards assessment without prejudice.

I would like to put this matter behind me but I don’t want to accept a less than fair offer to achieve that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dunne1995

Nickyc1 wrote: »
    So I was involved in a car accident March 2019 and suffered soft tissue injury to my neck and an MRI showed a bulging disc in my back. I was assessed by the PIAB doctor in February and he wasn’t happy with my back and asked for another MRI. In the meantime the PIAB cancelled all medical appointments due to Covid-19 and I can’t get an MRI so basically in limbo.

My solicitor emailed me Friday to say she had been contacted by the respondents insurer wanting to enter settlement talks.

If I agree to discuss settlement and the offer is not what I think is fair, can I just retreat from the discussion and continue with my injury boards assessment without prejudice.

I would like to put this matter behind me but I don’t want to accept a less than fair offer to achieve that.

Settlement talks are, as you suggest, strictly without prejudice and will not affect your PIAB proceedings in any way.

Your solicitor will advise you as to whether the offer is a good one in the circumstances.

Best of luck with it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    You should go to your own solicitor for advice.
    Usually plaintiffs have their injury fully investigated before considering settlement.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nickyc1

Dunne1995 wrote: »
    Settlement talks are, as you suggest, strictly without prejudice and will not affect your PIAB proceedings in any way.

Your solicitor will advise you as to whether the offer is a good one in the circumstances.

Best of luck with it

Thank you

Advertisement