Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track saw

Options
  • 16-05-2020 4:11pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any one own one, use one, or any experience of a reasonable

valu one,

Thanks

Comments

kadman wrote: »

valu one,

Thanks

If you can justify the expense, a Festool TS55 really is the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Macker

valu one,

Thanks

I got the lidl one, made about 10 cuts all very clean but I won't be putting it under too much pressure.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Festool is definitely out as it would not get the work to justify it.

Its really going to be for a one off project , for ply carcases for my

workshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,906 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bought the Titan as seen here...has done all I asked it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSY9EWsF_3w&t=525s
    I think the MCAllister Screwfix sell is the same.

Festool is definitely out as it would not get the work to justify it.

Its really going to be for a one off project , for ply carcases for my

workshop.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/erbauer-erb690csw-185mm-electric-plunge-saw-240v/3875p

€157.95 including VAT.

Comes with a 48T 185mm TCT blade and a pair of 700mm tracks. Electric brake, 6 speed, looks like a decent enough option IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,906 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

JayZeus wrote: »
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/erbauer-erb690csw-185mm-electric-plunge-saw-240v/3875p

€157.95 including VAT.

Comes with a 48T 185mm TCT blade and a pair of 700mm tracks. Electric brake, 6 speed, looks like a decent enough option IMHO.

Actually that one is identical to the Titan I bought of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

JayZeus wrote: »
    If you can justify the expense, a Festool TS55 really is the business.

I have the Triton TTS1400 - it does the trick but it's a bit noisy and the dust collection isn't great.

If I could find some magical way to justify the TS55 I would :D

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

makita sp6000 is a lot cheaper than the festool, it's every bit as good if not better than the festool.
    i've used both regularly.

I've seen a few vids on the Makita, and it looks ok.

Spoilt for choice really. And I suppose its the age old question,

if I go cheap now am i wasting the money, so should I up the budget

a bit more to protect the value of the amount I am spending.

mm....?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

One thing I picked up on tool reviews lately is the ergonomics of the tools: It was a track saw review and the cheaper options just don't cut it.
    The other thing about the FS track is that it has other uses.
    I have an older non plunge saw rig from Hilti, I have the 3m track, which is a single piece, which is a wonderful piece of work: {its my second one, the first one came off the car roof on the M50 and an 18 wheeler did a number on one end of it so its about 1400.]

One useful idea I saw on screw tube is using a foam or rigid XPS sheet as a backing sheet on the ground, makes supporting the big sheets v easy.

Th plunge is obviously safer than the non plunge

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Jaysus herself would hit me with a 3m or 1.5m track if she thought I was going to get a Festool.:D

But I know i would have the stamina to take her out in the second round:P:P

And no way can I work it in as an early birthday present, as its a bit far off,

but its a 65 so its a biggie.... it might just work:P:P

https://www.ebay.com/itm/271591243937

A new TS55 doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg.

I’ve found myself using mine fairly often, in preference to getting the tablesaw set up at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

They can be got for reasonable money. I got a TS55 2.5 years ago on special for about €320 exVat from sautershop.de, they have sales every so often-however I think the most you will get on festool is about 10%. I picked up two rails on amazon, one new and one second hand-needed a new splinter guard (about €25 for 5M) but perfect otherwise. Delighted with it as it's dead on accurate, cuts clean-rips 40mm hardwood no problem-and the blades are decent and last (apart from the laminate blade I got which was useless IMO).

At the time the Festool worked out €70 or so more than the Makita Sp6000, and I was leaning towards the Sp6000 as I have some other Makita tools and am v. happy with them; plus the Sp6000 can be locked to the rails for 45° cuts which the TS55 can't do.

The only other downside is the connectors for Festool tracks are not great, bit of play in them (I have 1400mm & 1080mm rails which are ideal for cutting up 8 x 4 sheets when connected) and the grub screws bite into the rails and get lost easily. I think the Makita ones are similar...

The Bosch/Mafell connector's seem to be the best method out there, Bosch make a well revciewed tracxk saw as well-Mafell if you get 6 numbers in the Lotto :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have the Erbauer one linked earlier, it's good.

This is turning into a never ending story for me.

I finally decided to go Makita after pinning down a 3 year old one little used

by a hobbyist, 110v for 250.

Job done and paid by paypal last Sunday at 3.30pm. I thought its located in Ireland,

so should be with me by Wednesday.

Wednesday came and went, no saw, despite me sending 2 e mails during the day.

That evening I got an e mail saying I had not paid, so the saw was not posted. Confused to say the least.

I checked my paypal details. They confirmed I had paid, but the seller had not accepted the funds.

All this time wasted, and the possibility of more messing. I cancelled the payment.

During this time, I also paid 85 euro for a Makita 1500 mm track, which landed today.

I hear Lidl are selling a parkside plunge saw this Monday, complete with 2 700 mm guides,

all for 90 euro. Great stuff. So I will buy the saw, and use the Makita track.

But Makita track is not suitable for the Parkside saw it seems:P:P

513947.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

Bought the Makita SP6000J1 Plunge Saw & 2 x 1.4m Rail - 230V for £330 from Axminster, December 2018. have to say it hasn't missed a beat. I did however have to the send the first back as it seemed like it was used, saw dust in the case and marks etc.

The Duk wrote: »
    Bought the Makita SP6000J1 Plunge Saw & 2 x 1.4m Rail - 230V for £330 from Axminster, December 2018. have to say it hasn't missed a beat. I did however have to the send the first back as it seemed like it was used, saw dust in the case and marks etc.

Which is now north of 400 euro, which is not bad for 2 guides as well.

But this is for a once off project , and now that the lidl one is up again,

it makes sense for me to go this route.

I already have an original 40 year old Skil saw in perfect condition, that out

performs other modern skilsaws I have used, and now that there are 3d

printers at home I will draw up an adapter fitting and print off a 3d solution

to match the saw to the Makita gude rail.:)

Went with the Parkside plus 2 rails for 90 euros. Hard to beat that.

I might flog on the Makita for 65, cost me 85, if the parkside does all i need it to.

I was in Lidl at 8 on the dot, but only 2 saws in the store

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I was passing the Arklow one earlier and nipped in (mostly for the cookies :pac:)and they had 2-3 of them if anyone is looking for one.

edit: track saws, as opposed to cookies....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I have the makita and it's a fantastic bit of kit. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one tomorrow if it broke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

I might flog on the Makita for 65, cost me 85, if the parkside does all i need it to.

think I've heard both Parkside and Makita fans recommending Evolution rails for their tracksaws... Have you checked to see if the Parkside saw fits the Makita rail?

think I've heard both Parkside and Makita fans recommending Evolution rails for their tracksaws... Have you checked to see if the Parkside saw fits the Makita rail?

I did, and it does not fit.

I could mill off the offending small aluminium edge to make it fit,

but failing that I could 3d print a plate to fit my existing saw if i wanted to.

And if the parkside works well, I might just flog the Makita rail and take a small

loss, but remove any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I did, and it does not fit.

I could mill off the offending small aluminium edge to make it fit,

but failing that I could 3d print a plate to fit my existing saw if i wanted to.

And if the parkside works well, I might just flog the Makita rail and take a small

loss, but remove any hassle.

I believe the little edge in question is for Makita's anti-tip feature to stop the saw from overbalancing when doing bevels.

I believe the little edge in question is for Makita's anti-tip feature to stop the saw from overbalancing when doing bevels.

Correct, but the Parkside does not have that good feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

not sure but I think Peter Millard's next video is going to look at rail compatibility. might be helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭Ryath

Went with the Parkside plus 2 rails for 90 euros. Hard to beat that.

I was in Lidl at 8 on the dot, but only 2 saws in the store

Was the dust extractor adaptor in yours? Picked up one yesterday and it's not in it. There was still 4 or 5 left. Shouldn't have picked the top one think it may have been opened! Was in a different lidl today only one left, box was open and the adaptor missing too.

Ryath wrote: »
    Was the dust extractor adaptor in yours? Picked up one yesterday and it's not in it. There was still 4 or 5 left. Shouldn't have picked the top one think it may have been opened! Was in a different lidl today only one left, box was open and the adaptor missing too.

Its already attached to the saw guard, check yours:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭Ryath

Its already attached to the saw guard, check yours:)

:o Hoover wouldn't fit on for me and seen it was listed separately in the manual so was assuming it was required. It was loose in the box in Peter Millards video!
    Hoover fits fine without it now!

• Advertisement

A review would be great fellas for others who happen on this thread, when you get around to trying out the saws.

Advertisement