Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla home wall charger & Nissan Leaf Type 1

Options
  • 16-05-2020 2:21pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone got a tethered Tesla Home Wall Charger that allows charging of a Nissan Leaf 24/30 as the car socket of this generation is Type 1.
    I believe there is a dip-switch to be adjusted on the Wall Charger and also a Type 2 to Type 1 adaptor for plugging in at Leaf end but varying conflicting hits on internet searches....

Cheers

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

We do.

There is also an episode on EV TV Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There is a dip switch in the unit to tell it to allow non-Tesla charging. Thats why you sometimes see two of them side by side in hotels with one that has a sign that says Tesla only.

I dont believe there is a "type 1" setting. Its just a Tesla or non-Tesla setting.

Since the unit has a type 2 connector only you can then buy an adaptor from the internet to adapt that to type 1 but its not a great idea if you plan to use it daily as the adaptors bypass various safety mechanisms and you'd have to wonder about water ingress into the connection particularly if its lying on the ground and rain hitting it at various angles.

Something like this. I think it has the right connectors to match?...
    https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/adaptors/products/type-2-to-type-1-cable-adaptor-converter-16-32-amp

Health warning... I havent tried it myself so I dont know if it works. Hopefully someone here has.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

When did you buy your Leaf and I think you bought second hand, not new? If before 2018 you might still be eligible for the home charger install subsidy of €600? If so, just get a second charger installed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I have not availed (not qualified) of any grants so far so the Model S purchase will be used for the €600 grant and just not practical to have two chargers so I plan on selling my 32amp untethered unit for a Tesla 7.5m tethered unit

slave1 wrote: »
    I have not availed (not qualified) of any grants so far so the Model S purchase will be used for the €600 grant and just not practical to have two chargers so I plan on selling my 32amp untethered unit for a Tesla 7.5m tethered unit

So why not just use what you have since it’s untethered?

It’s as much bother to take on/off the adaptor as it is to use each cars own cable.

• Advertisement

..because it won't be far off cost neutral once I sell my current wall unit, yes you are correct, an adaptor will be needed for charging the Leaf but not for the Tesla so it will be less effort and I won't be the one charging the Leaf.
    Also, if and when we change the Leaf for a Type 2 EV then everything will be in place.
    May as well use up the grant

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I don't of course know the layout of your drive and your driving habits, but how come having two chargers is impractical?

All down to neighbour due to party wall, not going there again, best leave it at that

This article describes it well, dip switch 2 determines communication protocol and looks an easy user adjustment
    https://cablesforcharging.com/using-a-type-2-to-type-1-adaptor-with-a-tesla-wall-charger/

Dip switch number 2 need to be moved to the down position then Tesla connector will charge other EVs

03.JPG

• Advertisement

Re the comment on Tesla destination chargers being able to charge non-Tesla’s, these are generally where there’s multiple destination chargers and as a rule of thumb white chargers can charge other EVs and red ones Tesla only...

This article describes it well, dip switch 2 determines communication protocol and looks an easy user adjustment
    https://cablesforcharging.com/using-a-type-2-to-type-1-adaptor-with-a-tesla-wall-charger/

It also says the new ones don’t require the dip switch setting as it’s automatic. Are the new ones available to order here yet?

KCross wrote: »
    It also says the new ones don’t require the dip switch setting as it’s automatic. Are the new ones available to order here yet?

Dunno, but the cover needs to be taken off the charger in any case to fit so it's an easy peasy to just move the dip switch if it is not factory set

Dunno, but the cover needs to be taken off the charger in any case to fit so it's an easy peasy to just move the dip switch if it is not factory set

I was thinking though would it be better to have the one that auto switches.
    Is there a loss of some functionality if you switch off the default that a Tesla uses(SWCAN)? There must be something different somewhere? Maybe some advanced feature, two way comms or app feature etc.
    It would be interesting to know what the difference between the two protocols is.

It could be what I alluded to in previous posts, that once in the "up" position it's Tesla only so perfect for destination chargers that Tesla want to be Tesla only, fair assumption they share the same "guts"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭zg3409

Hi,

Has anyone got a tethered Tesla Home Wall Charger that allows charging of a Nissan Leaf 24/30 as the car socket of this generation is Type 1.
    I believe there is a dip-switch to be adjusted on the Wall Charger and also a Type 2 to Type 1 adaptor for plugging in at Leaf end but varying conflicting hits on internet searches....

Cheers

I have heard the adapter does not work with a Tesla wall charger and a Nissan leaf.
    Someone tested at wooden bridge hotel in avoca, which can charge non Tesla and adapter would not work with leaf.

If you have a leaf and a Tesla I would recommend a non Tesla charger. Main benefit of Tesla charger is button on plug which unlocks charging port on the car. Otherwise not much difference.

Advertisement