Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER looks wrong?

Options
  • 15-05-2020 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I have a 3 bedroom detached house in South Dublin. It's not new (built 2003) but has gas central heating, double glazed windows, no chimney etc.

The energy rating on the house is an F which seems extremely low? Additionally the cert online says the house was built in the early 70s......

Would the house age on the cert make any difference to the rating?

The cert was done 5 years ago. I'm tempted to just get another one, but can't get a quote under 250 euros currently which is a lot of money!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Are you selling? If not, who cares what the rating is? If so, get another one done.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yes the house age would make a difference... And 1970 to 2003 would be a huge jump from the point of view of default u values.
    Are you 100% sure it was built in 2003?

And as above, if you don't practically need a BER rating right now, and you feel €250 is too much (it's not!) then don't bother getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 toughlife

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Yes the house age would make a difference... And 1970 to 2003 would be a huge jump from the point of vote of default u values.
    Are you 100% sure it was built in 2003?

And as above, if you don't practically need a BER rating right now, and you feel €250 is too much (it's not!) then don't bother getting one.

Sorry should have clarified that I will be selling. Current cert has 5 years expiry left but not sure I want to put a house up with an F rating...

Yeah the planning for the house was only granted in 2003 before that it was empty ground. I'm not an expert (infact I know nothing really in this matter) but I thought F ratings were for very poorly done houses. Mine is just a middle of the road beast so surprised by it being so low.

I know you have to pay your moneys to get stuff done, 250 just felt a bit dear. Rang up a few places and got the same money. Tiny house under 1000sq!

current rating:

F 407.24 (kWh/m2/yr)
    Mixed Masonry/Timber
    Main Space Heating Efficiency: 78.7%
    Main Water Heating Fuel:Gas
    Main Water Heating Efficiency: 78.7%
    Glazing Type: Double Glazing

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gobo99

Who di your original cert? Why don't you just point out their error and ask for a new cert

gobo99 wrote: »
    Who di your original cert? Why don't you just point out their error and ask for a new cert

They said **** off when I asked about age of house being wrong etc. It was done by a previous owner. :)

I guess my worry is that maybe it is an F. I have put new insulation in (300mm) the loft etc but haven't done much more than that. I was hoping to get to a C3 rating and wouldn't want to pay the money to get the same again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

toughlife wrote: »
    They said **** off when I asked about age of house being wrong etc. It was done by a previous owner. :)

I guess my worry is that maybe it is an F. I have put new insulation in (300mm) the loft etc but haven't done much more than that. I was hoping to get to a C3 rating and wouldn't want to pay the money to get the same again!
    When did you buy the house? Did you not realise it was an F then and why didn't you query it?
    There's not much you can do here bar getting another one done.

If you have put extra insulation in the attic then automatically the original BER is void.

250 would be the minimum going rate for an assessment, and to be honest the size of the house doesn't really effect that too much.

A 1000sq ft semi D could take just as long to survey and assess as a 2000sq ft detached.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=360f7b3f6f484d7d89b967b41231daef

Have a look at the above link. It may be indicative as to the typical BER ratings on your area... So it might give you some kind of free indication as to the rating
    on your house

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

When you bought the house, you were furnished with the BER cert. this is when you should have questioned it.

You put extra insulation in. You need documentary evidence of this. Photographs, DoP or a letter from the installer confirming it was done.

Price of €250 is good allowing for the south Dublin tax. I paid that last year for mine here in north Dublin.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If you have put extra insulation in the attic then automatically the original BER is void.

250 would be the minimum going rate for an assessment, and to be honest the size of the house doesn't really effect that too much.

A 1000sq ft semi D could take just as long to survey and assess as a 2000sq ft detached.

Have a look at the above link. It may be indicative as to the typical BER ratings on your area... So it might give you some kind of free indication as to the early on your house

Thank you for the link, very interesting.

Looks like I'll be getting a new BER so. I'll shop around and hopefully find someone reasonable.

Guess the next question is what can I do to improve the rating!

Guess the next question is what can I do to improve the rating!

Engage a BER assessor to advise you after they have done the survey. They will be able to tell you specifics whereas us here can only deal in generals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

If you get the original xml file from the SEAI you can go through each of the inputs and see if there are errors. Very often they use default values to save time that are pessimistic when in reality there is higher performance. The wrong boiler listed can make a huge impact on a BER rating.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If you get the original xml file from the SEAI you can go through each of the inputs and see if there are errors. Very often they use default values to save time that are pessimistic when in reality there is higher performance. The wrong boiler listed can make a huge impact on a BER rating.

Do the assessors upload the xml file to the SEAI?
    I didn’t think they did?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Gumbo wrote: »
    Do the assessors upload the xml file to the SEAI?
    I didn’t think they did?

I dont know if it is always done but it defin happens sometimes.

In DEAP 3 the xml was uploaded to seai in order to publish the cert.

In certain cases the homeowner or relevant person could apply to seai for a copy of that xml

As DEAP 4 is web based there's no uploading, as the assessment is updated after every input. DEAP 4 also has the ability to share the assessment with the client if required.

Advertisement