Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a bike for urban cycling

Options
  • 14-05-2020 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I've been cycling for a little over a year now, on a 2nd hand hybrid that needs replacing. I know ppl will advise to buy 2nd hand but there's absolutely nothing decent for sale in my area if I'm adhering to the lockdown 5km.

I mostly use the bike for cycling around the city, and a 4 mile commute to work. I live in a hilly enough area. I've noticed mountain bikes seem to be a lot more plentiful than hybrids in my area. I would have thought hybrids would be more suited to urban and hilly roads? Unless I'm missing something should I stick with the hybrid?

I want to spend around €600 max, can I get something light but reasonably robust, nippy and with disk brakes for that? There's a Boardman HYB 8.6 in Halfords I could get for €600 with the AXA members discount. Are there better options out there for that money?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't forget the 5km limit is for *exercise*.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Boardman are good bikes. Personally I’d recommend a road bike, but a hybrid is perfectly fine as a first bike.

Buying a bike would not be considered a necessary journey (unless you combine it with grocery shopping) so if there is a Halfords near your supermarket your sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

Any alternative hybrid recommendations for that budget? Are Halfords reopening next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Carrera Subway would see you right for that kind of cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Something like this would be great for what you describe.

https://dutchbikeshop.ie/gazelle-esprit-gents-3/

Very low maintenance, practical, comfortable. Lights, mudguards all included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Gonna follow your thread here - I have very similar requirements. Cycle to/from work, although I'm not sure I want to change bike as my old crappy bike gets locked everywhere (a bit like myself) and I don't need to worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'll add in my very inexperienced 2 cents here.

Last year I bought a hybrid for cycling in and out of town (I'm in terenure). Brilliant way of getting around, you get fitter and no parking charges. It was a decent enough bike but slightly on the chunkier side!!

Last week I bought a second hand (pretty much new to be fair) merida scultura 100 road bike and the difference is night and day. This bike weighs like 8.8kgs and it really makes a world of difference getting around.

The extra weight of the hybrid was killing me without actually realising it!! The new bike seems to be like pedalling a feather!! Hills where I struggled with before I'm practically zooming up them now. It's actually encouraging me to get out even more now because it's so enjoyable to cycle.

Something to think about if you are commuting...the less weight to lug around the easier it will be on yourself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

I wouldn't mind trying a road bike out to see if it would suit me. I like the idea of something ultra lightweight. I'm not sure if I'd like the riding position though.

I find this is the biggest annoyance with buying a new bike. I don't have experience of riding different types of bikes, so when I'm parting with what is a lot of money for me, I'd like to be able to try out at least a few to find the best fit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

doxy79 wrote: »
    I like the idea of something ultra lightweight. I'm not sure if I'd like the riding position though.
    there are three main things a bike can be:
    light
    strong
    cheap

you get to pick two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

mfceiling wrote: »

Last week I bought a second hand (pretty much new to be fair) merida scultura 100 road bike and the difference is night and day. This bike weighs like 8.8kgs and it really makes a world of difference getting around.

The extra weight of the hybrid was killing me without actually realising it!! The new bike seems to be like pedalling a feather!! Hills where I struggled with before I'm practically zooming up them now. It's actually encouraging me to get out even more now because it's so enjoyable to cycle.

Something to think about if you are commuting...the less weight to lug around the easier it will be on yourself!!

You're right, defo factor in weight.

I've a hybrid not a whole lot heavier than my road bike. I'd never cycle my road bike into the city though, the hybrid is much better for filtering, views and just generally being in traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Hurrache wrote: »
    You're right, defo factor in weight.

I've a hybrid not a whole lot heavier than my road bike. I'd never cycle my road bike into the city though, the hybrid is much better for filtering, views and just generally being in traffic.

What make you say that? I have a road bike (not a great cyclist, and just getting back into it!) and am finding traffic tricky, would a hybrid be easier? In what way? Would consider switching if it would help!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I find the slightly more upright seating position gives you a better view in traffic, better for filtering and so on. And unless you have an old skool set of double lever brakes, it's handier to have your brakes at the ready all the time while maintaining a comfier position in traffic.

That's my thoughts anyway, I'm sure others will negate them but I always find city commuting better off the road bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hurrache wrote: »
    I find the slightly more upright seating position gives you a better view in traffic, better for filtering and so on. And unless you have an old skool set of double lever brakes, it's handier to have your brakes at the ready all the time while maintaining a comfier position in traffic.

That's my thoughts anyway, I'm sure others will negate them but I always find city commuting better off the road bike.

Everyones different, my hands rest on the hoods most of the commute so always at the brakes. It depends on what suits you position wise.

My recommendation to the OP would be a CX bike of some sort, with road tyres, best of both worlds. I picked up a Cube Cross Race 2nd hand, for half RRP and its comfy, tough as hell and really not tht far off my fancy lightweight race bike in terms of speed.

Gravel / Adventure bikes are a great compromise

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/all-bikes/445620.html

decent on the road and suit urban environments with wider tyres

review -> https://www.bikeradar.com/features/550-now-buys-you-a-proper-gravel-bike/

445638y?w=1480&h=1110&qlt=75&fmt=webp&v=1

Advertisement