Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self build budget spreadsheet

Options
  • 14-05-2020 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hope someone would be able to help. Husband and I are planning to build a house in Mayo on a piece of land that my uncle will transfer to me, subject to planning permission. We have a design we like, but will engage a local architect to draw it up, organise planning applications etc. To get an estimate of what we can afford to build, does anyone have a spreadsheet they would be willing to share, with a list of things that should be included, especially fixed costs. We are a bit ignorant of fees etc we need to consider and would be grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,233 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You don't need a lot of detail to find out what you can afford to build.
    Depending on where you are, costs will vary
    https://www.scsi.ie/advice/house_rebuilding_calculator

excludes services and land cost.
    In round numbers, outside Dublin 2,000 euro/sqm would be a good place to start.
    What do you mean by fixed costs?

IMO, you are much better starting out with a blank page and go from scratch

I then googled

http://organizedbuilders.com/Excel-Building-Costing-Templates/Residential-House-Building-Template
    and dowloaded the free one.
    Is from OZ but looks good

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mbwb

Thanks a million Calahonda52 that's really helpful. I suppose by fixed costs I meant, surveyor fees, planning applications, site insurance etc, I'm not sure what else I should consider. The spreadsheet is really useful, which I can tweak. It contains things I wouldn't have thought of in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

In round numbers, outside Dublin 2,000 euro/sqm would be a good place to start.
    What do you mean by fixed costs?

Are you including site cost and stamp with that figure Calahonda52? If not there's a huge amount of 500k ordinary looking houses all over the irish countryside.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Are you including site cost and stamp with that figure Calahonda52? If not there's a huge amount of 500k ordinary looking houses all over the irish countryside.

Try build those houses from around the country side in today’s market with BCAR and NZEB regulations. Figures seems right.

Advertisement