Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Mooney’s new big idea

Options
  • 14-05-2020 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭

The RTÉ presenter Derek Mooney has a new big idea - a novel based on Eurovision songs which he hopes RTÉ buys the rights to and make into a tv series/musical/film

The RTÉ website has a big piece on it today:

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2020/0513/1138268-eurovision-brought-to-book-derek-mooneys-big-idea/

The novel involves a group of men from Liverpool on a stag in dublin - all to the backdrop of Eurovision songs.

It involves a character based on Linda Martin called “Linda O’Martini”.

To put it mildly, It is not booker prize winning literature.

Personally I find it strange that an RTÉ employee is actively calling on his own employer RTÉ to buy into his idea and fund a tv series which will ultimately enrich himself and his co writers?

Don’t forget RTÉ is funded by the Irish taxpayer.

What makes it worse is RTÉ loses money year on year (deficits in 7 of the last 10 years) and has eye watering debts of 50 million.

I am unsure if this is even ethical or right that he uses his profile to pressure RTÉ to invest in this hare brained idea.

Or am I over reacting and RTÉ should throw tax payers money at him for this project?

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Personally I find it strange that an RTÉ employee is actively calling on his own employer RTÉ to buy into his idea and fund a tv series which will ultimately enrich himself and his co writers?

Nothing strange about that.

What do you think?

It sounds as cringeworthy as that normal people shìte, but the idea has legs in generating revenue for RTE given that we’re already talking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

that normal people shìte

Yeah, that Normal People 'shite'. Universally well-received by viewers and critics everywhere it's been shown, and dismissed as 'shite' by a handful of contrary misanthropes on Boards.

Don't get me wrong - there's plenty to criticise. But to dismiss it as 'shite' is indicative of a very dull mind.

Yeah, that Normal People 'shite'. Universally well-received by viewers and critics everywhere it's been shown, and dismissed as 'shite' by a handful of contrary misanthropes on Boards.

Don't get me wrong - there's plenty to criticise. But to dismiss it as 'shite' is indicative of a very dull mind.

I’m not to get you wrong, but me dismissing it as ****e is an indication to you of the dull mind of a contrary misanthrope.

Y’know the way people have different tastes? Yeah, that.

Exactly for the same reason I said that Derek Mooneys nonsense wouldn’t be to my taste, but I acknowledge that it is likely to generate revenue for RTE.

I’m not to get you wrong, but me dismissing it as ****e is an indication to you of the dull mind of a contrary misanthrope.

Y’know the way people have different tastes? Yeah, that.

Exactly for the same reason I said that Derek Mooneys nonsense wouldn’t be to my taste, but I acknowledge that it is likely to generate revenue for RTE.

Not liking it is one thing - I can fully understand why some people might not relate to a series about people from small-town Ireland, people going to Trinity, the idea of having a relationship as a teenager, sex scenes where you don't see it going in and out, and where you're supposed to watch it all the way through (and to cap it all off, it ends not all over someone's face, but with the couple talking... talking! FFS).

But yeah, dismissing it as 'shite'. Apart from the odd chap on Twitter with no avatar, no followers and a username that ends with eight digits, Boards is the only place where I've seen that happen.

Not liking it is one thing - I can fully understand why some people might not relate to a series about people from small-town Ireland, people going to Trinity, the idea of having a relationship as a teenager, sex scenes where you don't see it going in and out, and where you're supposed to watch it all the way through (and to cap it all off, it ends not all over someone's face, but with the couple talking... talking! FFS).

But yeah, dismissing it as 'shite'. Apart from the odd chap on Twitter with no avatar, no followers and a username that ends with eight digits, Boards is the only place where I've seen that happen.

Then I would respectfully suggest that rather than calling people who don’t share your opinions dull minded misanthropes, you ought to get out a bit more.

There are plenty of things receive universal critical acclaim, and so what? Angela’s ashes received universal critical acclaim, as did Mrs. Browns Boys, as have numerous series on mainstream media and streaming services. Universal critical acclaim isn’t the barometer it once was when your idea of universal is “mainstream media”, and your idea of “misanthrope” appears to be “anyone who doesn’t share your limited perspective“.

It’s a Twilight style rip-off of Circle of Friends, nothing worth getting your knickers in a bunch over.

• Advertisement

Then I would respectfully suggest that rather than calling people who don’t share your opinions dull minded misanthropes, you ought to get out a bit more.

Like I said, plenty of people with valid criticisms. Lazy dismissal like yours is something I've only seen on Boards and maybe the odd incel type on Twitter. Could be rampant on Reddit and 4chan too, but I wouldn't know about those sites.
    There are plenty of things receive universal critical acclaim, and so what? Angela’s ashes received universal critical acclaim, as did Mrs. Browns Boys, as have numerous series on mainstream media and streaming services. Universal critical acclaim isn’t the barometer it once was when your idea of universal is “mainstream media”, and your idea of “misanthrope” appears to be “anyone who doesn’t share your limited perspective“.

I'm not criticising anyone who "doesn't share my views" - I'm criticising people who dismiss art as 'cringeworthy' and 'shite' because it isn't to their limited taste.
    It’s a Twilight style rip-off of Circle of Friends, nothing worth getting your knickers in a bunch over.

Anyone who reads your post and decides to read one of those novels because they enjoyed the other will be sorely disappointed. Literally the only similarities between them are that the main characters are people from small towns who went to universities in Dublin.

Incidentally, I read Circle of Friends years ago and didn't like it. Not because it was 'shite'. Just wasn't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

he should stick to discussing tits

Like I said, plenty of people with valid criticisms. Lazy dismissal like yours is something I've only seen on Boards and maybe the odd incel type on Twitter. Could be rampant on Reddit and 4chan too, but I wouldn't know about those sites.

And that’s why I suggested your perspective was limited, and you ought to get out more.

I'm not criticising anyone who "doesn't share my views" - I'm criticising people who dismiss art as 'cringeworthy' and 'shite' because it isn't to their limited taste.

No, it wasn’t because it wasn’t to my taste that I dismissed it as shìte, it’s because it’s cringeworthy. There are plenty of critically acclaimed works of art I can think of that aren’t to my taste, but I don’t dismiss them as cringeworthy shìte because I can appreciate the art. None of that suggests my taste is limited. I don’t know why you’d imagine that critical acclaim is some sort of standard by which to judge other people, as opposed to the work of art in question, but hey ho, I never listen to critics anyway, but rather prefer to form my own opinions, and sometimes it comes to nothing more than a work of art is just... shìte. It doesn’t mean I don’t like it or anything else, it simply means it’s just not worth rating one way or another.

Anyone who reads your post and decides to read one of those novels because they enjoyed the other will be sorely disappointed. Literally the only similarities between them are that the main characters are people from small towns who went to universities in Dublin.

Incidentally, I read Circle of Friends years ago and didn't like it. Not because it was 'shite'. Just wasn't for me.

That’s great.

Now would you care to give an opinion on Derek Mooneys latest creative effort? You already know what I think :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Is Mooney a confirmed bachelor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

There's no words to describe the cringe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

he should stick to discussing tits

I don't think he's interested in those kind of tits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Id say he is a right Blanaid to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It sounds as cringeworthy as that normal people shìte, but the idea has legs in generating revenue for RTE given that we’re already talking about it.

isn't that a BBC 3 production?

ted1 wrote: »
    isn't that a BBC 3 production?

Nah, it’s produced by independent production company Element Pictures for BBC3 and Hulu in the US (popular streaming service in the US). RTE just bought it from them, could explain why there are only some episodes available on the RTE player and Sky Q - it’s a rights issue.

That’s why I was surprised at the suggestion by the OP that there was something unethical about Derek Mooney producing a show for RTE, he’s been doing that for years? His wildlife and nature programmes are great, but a novel adapted for television with character names like Linda O’ Martini about a couple finding love during Eurovision? I suppose if you enjoyed Mamma Mia!

*shrugs*

No, it wasn’t because it wasn’t to my taste that I dismissed it as shìte, it’s because it’s cringeworthy. There are plenty of critically acclaimed works of art I can think of that aren’t to my taste, but I don’t dismiss them as cringeworthy shìte because I can appreciate the art. None of that suggests my taste is limited. I don’t know why you’d imagine that critical acclaim is some sort of standard by which to judge other people, as opposed to the work of art in question, but hey ho, I never listen to critics anyway, but rather prefer to form my own opinions, and sometimes it comes to nothing more than a work of art is just... shìte. It doesn’t mean I don’t like it or anything else, it simply means it’s just not worth rating one way or another.

Are you basing that opinion on having read the whole book/having watched all twelve episodes?
    Now would you care to give an opinion on Derek Mooneys latest creative effort? You already know what I think :pac:

I'm sure it'll have its audience, which probably won't include me, so I'm unlikely to ever be qualified to give an opinion on it. I actually like Derek Mooney - he's a good, enthusiastic presenter, even if I'm not interested in some of his favoured topics (Mrs Brown's Boys, ABBA and the Eurovision). This is in stark contrast with his replacement, Ray D'Arcy, who often sounds like he's presenting the show under duress.
    Is Mooney a confirmed bachelor?
    I don't think he's interested in those kind of tits.

The innuendo about his sexuality is quite sad.

Are you basing that opinion on having read the whole book/having watched all twelve episodes?

Well I’ve read the book, and I’m half way through the tv series which is what I was commenting on. I hadn’t planned on watching it given I didn’t think the book was any good, but I figured it might be worth seeing what all the hype was about. Turns out it wasn’t worth seeing what all the hype was about, because just like the book - it doesn’t live up to the hype. I’m just not seeing anything worth the acclaim it’s getting as though it’s bringing anything new to the genre. It’s like I suggested earlier- Twilight generations answer to Circle of Friends, same as Fifty Shades was their generations answer to Secretary 20 years earlier.

(and yes, I read the Fifty Shades novels and watched the films too)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

What do you think?
    If anyone in my family want to wind me up they will buy me that book.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,486 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

What a premise.
    Such a creative imagination.

To put it mildly, It is not booker prize winning literature.

I almost actually laughed out loud..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭Flavour Diaper

Is Derek Mooney still riding do people think?

Edit: Sorry was thinking of Derek Davis.

• Advertisement
Advertisement