Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drocon Bugs 3 Owners Thread - Cheapo Brushless Monster

• 13-05-2020 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭

6tohlJ5.png

This thread is designed to follow on from the Bargain Alert where loads of boardsies bought the Bugs 3.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058033622

Price: €31!
    Yes its no Inspire, but it was an absolute steal.

My notes:
    • Battery is surprisingly ok, you'd expect them to cheap out there but fly time is 12-15 mins which is fine in the budget bracket. I need to get an adapter to test it on my real charger.
    • Camera - you can mount one but in a way you really shouldn't. Footage from it is OK but its not a stable platform as its more like an FPV than a filming platform and flight characteristics take a dive when you add the weight
    • Resilience - I've hoped it off a field several times and once gave a tree a haircut. Blades are a bit nicked but it still flys and came with spares
    • Ease of use - alt control was tricky for me until I removed the camera, its a whole different beast when you've no anchor holding you down.
    • Flips - if it makes a bad sound when you flip, check that the main cover isn't loose

I'm tempted to try and find something like the session but lighter and gut it like FPV fanatics do. 74g doesn't sound like much but it is in small drone terms. Take off weight is 485g. There are gimbal options but a €70 gimbal on a €30 drone is a little mad :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

There are a load of resources in this thread that may be handy
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2797728-MJX-Bugs-3-Brushless-Camera-Quad-Great-or-Buggy-%28review%29

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2776206-MJX-RC-Bugs-3

Mods, links, spare parts, guides etc..

Could update as required here.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

I could not get this to work and had it on the kitchen table.

Was randomly pressing buttons on the controller, and, well, I now have multiple pock marks in the kitchen ceiling.

Was randomly pressing buttons on the controller, and, well, I now have multiple pock marks in the kitchen ceiling.

I guess that makes this thread an even better idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

Great thread idea, I have one too, only used maybe five times since I got it. No previous experience and I thought it was an absolute beast on the high power mode! A little frustrating in that you constantly have to be trimming it when flying but great bargain. Have not tried with my go pro mounted yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Put it up for the fit time last week. There was a slight breeze and it was away over the fields. I had to drop it before it got to houses and could cause damage..
    It's not an anafi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It starts "locked" and this confuses people I guess.

1. Fully charge the battery - flashing is charging, solid is full
    2. Plug battery into drone and place on a FLAT surface
    3. Power on controller and wait 2s
    4. Pull both sticks to 4/5 O'Clock until lights flash, thats the gyro calibrated
    5. Make sure left stick is at 6 O'Clock
    6. Short press red button to unlock, blades spin
    7. Take off

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Put it up for the fit time last week. There was a slight breeze and it was away over the fields. I had to drop it before it got to houses and could cause damage..
    It's not an anafi.

Different beast. Best flown the first three times in DEAD calm conditions.

Some spare parts here for anyone looking - I don't know how legit they are, but they accept paypal. Over $20 gets free shipping.
    https://www.rc-helicopter-spare-parts-online.com/mjx-b3-bugs-3-rc-quadcopter-c-291/

Many available on amazon anyway, and eBay and Aliexpress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Had mine up again today and also took the Bebop out for a few mins. You can just throw the Bugs around and the handling is superb, high mode is is an absolute blast.
    The Bebop just takes these unpredictable wide turns and doesn't react instantly like the Bugs.
    The Bebop in fairness is a GPS camera drone and not really designed for high speed flying, but it's a brushless drone so it shouldn't be that far behind.
    Advise above about the first few flights for beginners on clam days is spot on. It's a simple drone to get used to and once your comfortable flying and get used to controls then venture out on windy days, it's more than capable of handling west coast wind as I've found out.

Advertisement