Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPG Scan in west of Ireland

Options
  • 13-05-2020 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Ladies / Gents

I need to get an OPG Scan asap as im planning to go overseas for some serious work by months end.
    The client has requested an OPG Scan as it will speed things up for when i get there

Is this impossible during this covid-19

I am willing to drive anywhere really but the West would suit as im in Mayo

Ant info will be grateful

Cheers
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ladies / Gents

I need to get an OPG Scan asap as im planning to go overseas for some serious work by months end.
    The client has requested an OPG Scan as it will speed things up for when i get there

Is this impossible during this covid-19

I am willing to drive anywhere really but the West would suit as im in Mayo

Ant info will be grateful

Cheers
    Brian

You can’t have an OPG scan without a written prescription with reason for x-ray from the dentist who is going to interpret it. When taking it, a dentist has to record on your notes the clinical necessity for taking it. “Travelling abroad” doesn’t meet the criteria.

You need to get a prescription in writing from the Clinic you are going to abroad, and then try and find a Dentist to take the scan, many will only take them for their own patients.

“The new rules

The new rules mean that only a doctor or dentist may prescribe a medical radiological procedure and the prescription must be in writing. The prescription will state the reason for requesting the particular procedure and the practitioner (radiologist/radiographer) must satisfy himself or herself that the procedure as prescribed is justified.”

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

Dav010 wrote: »
    You can’t have an OPG scan without a written prescription with reason for x-ray from the dentist who is going to interpret it. When taking it, a dentist has to record on your notes the clinical necessity for taking it. “Travelling abroad” doesn’t meet the criteria.

You need to get a prescription in writing from the Clinic you are going to abroad, and then try and find a Dentist to take the scan, many will only take them for their own patients.

“The new rules

The new rules mean that only a doctor or dentist may prescribe a medical radiological procedure and the prescription must be in writing. The prescription will state the reason for requesting the particular procedure and the practitioner (radiologist/radiographer) must satisfy himself or herself that the procedure as prescribed is justified.”

Are you sure as i found one in Dublin that states walk in fee off 60 euro

Please see attached

Brian

Are you sure as i found one in Dublin that states walk in fee off 60 euro

Please see attached

Brian

Am I sure? Yes.

If you read the price list, it says at the top, consultation and treatment plan including OPG. So the dentist is examining you, taking the X-ray and discussing a treatment plan. Which is exactly what is supposed to be done. You will have to pay an extra €35 on top of the fee to take a copy away with you.

If you look further down, you will see walk in OPG and then (with referral letter), the referral letter is the prescription from your Dentist abroad.

As a matter of interest, would the Clinic abroad not be able to take an OPG when you get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

Dav010 wrote: »
    Am I sure? Yes.

If you read the price list, it says at the top, consultation and treatment plan including OPG. So the dentist is examining you, taking the X-ray and discussing a treatment plan. Which is exactly what is supposed to be done. You will have to pay an extra €35 on top of the fee to take a copy away with you.

If you look further down, you will see walk in OPG and then (with referral letter), the referral letter is the prescription from your Dentist abroad.

As a matter of interest, would the Clinic abroad not be able to take an OPG when you get there?

They said that they will but if i can get one over ,they can have an idea of what treatment i will need. When i arrive i will still get one there too

So will this referral letter work to get me an OPG

Is it possibly to get one done in the hospitals

Brian

They said that they will but if i can get one over ,they can have an idea of what treatment i will need. When i arrive i will still get one there too

So will this referral letter work to get me an OPG

Is it possibly to get one done in the hospitals

Brian

Hospitals are very strict, you need one of their prescription forms filled and signed by the Dentist.

The “referral letter” or prescription as it is better known, is a letter with your name, address, date of birth, instruction with type of x-ray and clinician reason for requesting x-ray. It must also be signed by the Dentist/Dr requesting the X-ray. The clinic taking the X-ray keeps this on file. You might be able to get the Clinic abroad to email you a copy of an X-ray prescription/referral. Print it off, then bring it with you.

You also need to check if the Clinic wants it in digital or film form. It’s not much use sending them a film X-ray if they use software for implant analysis of the scan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement