Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it snobby to not want to live beside council flats?

Options
  • 13-05-2020 6:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭

A friend of mine lives next to the railway street council flats in a private complex, which by all measures is quite nice. However, he hates the locals for a few reasons: generational unemployment, open drug-dealing/taking, and to top it off, the local children are fond of sneaking into the complex and setting off fire alarms in the middle of the night. A mutual friend has referred to him as a snob, but does he have a point? Or is he just being toffee nosed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

It's not snobby. It's common sense man��.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its their area no amount of shiny new buildings changes that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Great location though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

He’s a toffee-nosed snob with a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

It's social housing not countil flats. Stereotypical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,887 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Social housing attracts anti social behaviour.
    Who knew?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭Flavour Diaper

What a novel thread idea. Perfect for Current Affairs. Flavour Diaper has spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Cobalt17 wrote: »
    A friend of mine lives next to the railway street council flats in a private complex, which by all measures is quite nice. However, he hates the locals for a few reasons: generational unemployment, open drug-dealing/taking, and to top it off, the local children are fond of sneaking into the complex and setting off fire alarms in the middle of the night. A mutual friend has referred to him as a snob, but does he have a point? Or is he just being toffee nosed?

Why did he move there then?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Podge201 wrote: »
    It's social housing not countil flats. Stereotypical.

I don’t think it’s whether it’s social housing or council flats is the issue, I think it’s the behaviour of the neighbours what with the open drug taking and dealing, and the neighbours children setting off fire alarms during the night is the issue. I think anyone who’s not on board with that kind of behaviour would begin to hate their neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Not at all

He doesn't hate the locals because they are locals or living in social housing. He hates them because some of them act like scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Great location though.

It is.

Pretty annoying for people with long commutes that unemployed people get to live in such a great location.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Charlie19 wrote: »

Yeah, I wouldn't live there either. Must be great craic during the lockdown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭Cobalt17

Yeah, I wouldn't live there either. Must be great craic during the lockdown.

I think they’ve knocked some of those flats and are currently building state of the art apartments for Jacintha and her wee angles. I can see his point when he’s paying through the nose for something people are getting for free.

I was around at his place a few times and I was actually shocked at how filthy the streets were.

Advertisement