Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backwards compatibility on 360

Options
  • 12-05-2020 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got a 360 a few months back handy enough, and saw that they are backwards compatible. There are a few original xbox exclusives that I never got to play at the time and I'd thought it was handy as I don't need to be messing around with scart to HDMI. So I got the GTA collection and KOTOR, tried all the discs and couldn't load them as the previous owner had changed the internal HDD - tried reformatting and made an absolute dogs dinner of it so - cue a trip to amazon for a new one.

The new hard drive arrived today and got it up and running. KOTOR works fine (actually a really great game) but both GTA games are stuck loading into the menu screen. Disc are in reasonable condition, but they were from CEX, so there's that. At this point I'd nearly return the hard drive and just buy an og xbox outright.

Have any of you had much experience with using the 360 with xbox games? Do you think I'm better off throwing in the towel and just getting the original hardware?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd check a non Microsoft list of games that will work on the 360. Some games listing as working actually have game breaking bugs. Panzer Dragoon Orta PAL version crashes before the start of Chapter 4 for instance. Not all games will work.

Also you need Ninja Gaiden Black. Thank me later.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭barryribs

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd check a non Microsoft list of games that will work on the 360. Some games listing as working actually have game breaking bugs. Panzer Dragoon Orta PAL version crashes before the start of Chapter 4 for instance. Not all games will work.

Also you need Ninja Gaiden Black. Thank me later.

Yea both are included in the list alright, which is odd. If it was an issue with the emulation I'd have expected issues when running the actual game itself more so than loading into the menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

barryribs wrote: »
    Yea both are included in the list alright, which is odd. If it was an issue with the emulation I'd have expected issues when running the actual game itself more so than loading into the menus.

Highest likelihood here is the condition of the discs, more so considering the lack of any meaningful quality control in CeX. Give them a proper cleaning, and try again. Does the 360 allow you to install OG Xbox games to hdd like it does 360 games? If so, that's a good way to check the integrity of the disc, as it'll fail if it reaches an unreadable sector due to scratching etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

barryribs wrote: »

I'd be fairly certain that's down to the disc, even more so if you got them from CEX.

Inviere wrote: »
    Highest likelihood here is the condition of the discs, more so considering the lack of any meaningful quality control in CeX. Give them a proper cleaning, and try again. Does the 360 allow you to install OG Xbox games to hdd like it does 360 games? If so, that's a good way to check the integrity of the disc, as it'll fail if it reaches an unreadable sector due to scratching etc.

I don't think you can install to the HDD, or even access the original dashboard to do this. I tried cleaning the disks but still the same, both titles stop at the same loading point too, so it suggests its something to do with the emulation alright :(

Looks like my next purchase is going to be an original xbox

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

https://xbox.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

Good list of official compatible games and another list with known bugs and issues.

Some games MS list as compatible are just plain broken like Panzer Dragoon Orta.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's a shame about Orta alright. They must have added it in as backwards compatible but not actually played through it fully.

It's such a brilliant game but I'm always way too lazy to get the xbox out to play it.

It's only the PAL version as well.

I wonder if they fixed it on Xbox One.

Also really peeved they never ported Jet Set Radio Future and some of the other Sega classics. Same with the two Otogi games.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Never even occurred to me to try it out on the Xbox One!

Will have to go digging through the attic to see if I can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They fixed that on the Xbox One. It runs perfectly and looks amazing on the One X.

• Advertisement

They fixed that on the Xbox One. It runs perfectly and looks amazing on the One X.

Is the One all the way backwards compatible?

Advertisement