Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declined Mortgage Protection Insurance - Advice Please

Options
  • 12-05-2020 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi All,

Myself and my partner are in the process of buying a house.

I have been approved for Mortgage Protection Insurance, however my partner has been declined due to BMI.

We have tried a number of brokers and companies here and they have said it will be a straight decline due to my partners BMI.

My partner is the main earner, however they have a very generous death in service package and several pensions.

The application is with AIB.

We have contacted pulse in the UK for a quote through a broker.

My questions are this, is it likely that we will get a waiver ? What are the chances ? And does anyone here have experience with getting insurance with pulse, if so, can they outline how long it took to get cover in place and a general ball park in terms of premium ?

And would it be better to get a waiver or try the pulse route ? Does anyone have any experience here or advice ? Thanks

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated, as we are at our wits end.

Thanks.
    Post edited by Jim2007 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I genuinely don't recall BMI being on our forms for this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

It doesn't generally ask for your BMI straight out, it asks for height and weight, they work it out themselves!

I would ask for the waiver anyway, that will allow you proceed with drawdown if that is what you want to do, you can then be trying any other options out there in your own time.

Tell them he lost weight. Bizarre thing to decline on since people can lose and gain weight very quickly and no way to prove weight at the time of application.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Crumtrin

They declined on BMI so height and weight. This is what they told us the reason for the decline was. no underlying conditions, just BMI. Seems really strict.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tell them he lost weight. Bizarre thing to decline on since people can lose and gain weight very quickly and no way to prove weight at the time of application.

That's not a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I had this same problem....

Went with JLT its now called Marsh....

My premium is €49 a month and should have been around the €25 mark only for high BMI.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Crumtrin wrote: »
    They declined on BMI so height and weight. This is what they told us the reason for the decline was. no underlying conditions, just BMI. Seems really strict.

That's unusual. Must have been way outside the normal range.

Go for the waiver.

D.I.S. can't be assigned so is of no use.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Which would refer the policy invalid.... best ignored.

That's not a good idea.
    Jim2007 wrote: »
    Which would refer the policy invalid.... best ignored.

Come on, this is not like the usual list of things you will get caught on it is impossible to prove either way.

How are they going to prove a weight? What if he did lose it and then put it back on would that invalidate the policy? It’s like them questions “how many units do you drink a week” no one ever tells the truth.

It’s a crazy stipulation to have anyway, doubt it’s even legal if properly challenged.

I'm sure they'd smell a rat if op suddenly went back with a new weight since application and I'd say you might find them requesting a medical :) Easy to prove a weight when you're standing on the scales!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

phormium wrote: »
    I'm sure they'd smell a rat if op suddenly went back with a new weight since application and I'd say you might find them requesting a medical :) Easy to prove a weight when you're standing on the scales!

Before he got the chance to enter a new (false) weight, he would have to give a false answer to the question: 'have you ever been declined cover?'.

Touching a nerve nox?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058077486/1/#post113421960
    The OPs other thread said their partner has a bmi of 48 which is extremely obese, it's not a minor detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Crumtrin

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies - but please look at the questions that were initially asked.

Has anyone experience here of dealing with pulse and if so what are turnaround times and prices for cover ?

Thanks

Come on, this is not like the usual list of things you will get caught on it is impossible to prove either way.

How are they going to prove a weight? What if he did lose it and then put it back on would that invalidate the policy? It’s like them questions “how many units do you drink a week” no one ever tells the truth.

It’s a crazy stipulation to have anyway, doubt it’s even legal if properly challenged.

Do you understand the purpose of this insurance at all? It is probably one of the most important contracts you will inter into, ranks right up there with the actual buying of the property and getting the mortgage. It means that should anything go wrong your dependents are not left homeless, so it is a pretty significant thing for a family to discover is invalid, especially a young family.

It also means that the insurance company is on the hook for a very large payout, so the loss adjusters will get involved. Professionals, people experienced in in ferreting out the truth, with one objective only - making sure their employers don't have to make the pay out.

Like best ignored.

I'd go a bit further onto what Jim2007 said.

Back a good few years I was a Broker Consultant for one of the Insurance Co's. A letter arrived one day from head office addressed to a Broker and with instructions for me to deliver it and witness the Broker opening it.

He'd had a death claim on a simple mortgage protection policy for a client and the letter was a decision to repudiate the claim due to blatant non disclosure (heart related - the client died of a heart attack), refund the premiums, and with further instructions for me to determine who'd filled in the proposal, and make a decision of the future (if any) of that agency.

Playing fast and loose in relation to full and proper disclose on life assurance questions is not a trivial matter at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Laurz8558

Hey,

Sorry to hear you are having the issue :( Myself and my fiancee are the same. I have cover but no company will cover him as he has Transposition of the Great Arteries. He was born with it and never had an issue so it's very frustrating. Pulse wouldn't even cover him and it was with AIB too. They have now said they will lend on my income only so they seem to be very strict. He has DIS with his job too but they wouldn't count that because we are not married. We are going to look at other banks so I would say do the same. Best of luck with pulse however. If anyone knows if any banks who may grant a waiver, please can you let us know?

Try UB, they used to be fairly ok with waivers anyway but of course things could have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Loz Ella

Hi @Crumtrin and @Laurz8558, did either of you get sorted with mortgage protection in the end, or a waiver from a bank? My partner and I are trying to get mortgage protection at the moment and one of us has high bmi so we're trying to find out what avenues may be open to us.

MOD: Please do not dig up old threads, it looks like neither of these accounts have been active for several years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement