Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nas remote streaming options

Options
  • 12-05-2020 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi, recently got a DS1019, main use up until now has been a media server for home.
    Due to the current covid situation I've also been trying to set up remote streaming for my mother who is self isolating. With limited success to date.

She has an android tablet so simplest option seemed to be installing DS Video on it, Video Station on the nas and using my quickConnect id from the tablet to connect via the DS Video to a library I set up specifically for her in Video Station on the nas.

It works, and it's very simple once I set up the defaults including VLC as her default player. However there seems to be a bug somewhere in DSM that forces her to login every 15 min. The fix looked to be just extending the logout timer in the NAS from 15 minutes to 2 hours but alas this does nothing.

I've been onto tech support and they were really helpful suggesting alternatives as they think there might be an issue with the time outs not working properly. However the alternative involves a lot of set up with port forwarding, security cert installation etc which would be difficult enough given the limited access to my mother.

So looking for alternatives. Most obvious is Plex which I use myself. However for remote access from another user it looks like passes are required both ends. Apart from the cost I think Plex would just be too complicated for her.

All I'm looking for really is a simple streaming app that is secure and compatible with the Synology nas so any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Advertisement