Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle with Pinion gearbox?

Options
  • 12-05-2020 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Anyone tried out a bicycle with the pinion gearbox fitted?

I think that along with the Gates carbon belt is the way to go if you use your bike everyday. 10,000km service intervals for the box and probably something similar for the carbon belt. It ain't cheap but I'd love to test one out.

For those of you not familiar with it, all the details are iin the link - https://pinion.eu/en/.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Never heard of it.

Love to buy a bike with belt and hub geared (or pinion). All seem pricey, and who would service them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

Basic servicing can be done yourself or by a reputable bike shop. For major issues it will have to go back to Germany. Same applies to the Rohloff hub too.

Cheapest Pinion drive commuter / touring bike I've seen is €4k. Fully kitted with racks, lights, disc brakes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Deviate do a mtb version I'm not sure if I'd be a fan but I do like the idea of it. The grip shift is meh though.

Not a fan of the twist shift either. There are conversion kits out there to switch to trigger or brifters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

David6330 wrote: »
    Cheapest Pinion drive commuter / touring bike I've seen is €4k. Fully kitted with racks, lights, disc brakes etc.
    how would that compare to a similarly kitted out bike with standard gears? looks like a €3k premium for the gearbox or thereabouts - if that's the cheapest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Never had any experiences of gearboxes are the like.

But imo if shimano made a gearbox patent they probably feel that if gearboxes where cheaper there huge market share would be under threat.

A quick google shows me this article https://www.cyclingabout.com/tour-with-a-pinion-gearbox/

Nice that you can switch gears without pedals and that there's no skipping gears. Same time would I fork out 4k for bike I cant switch gears under load, I dont think so.

I guess if money really isnt an issue and you're doing a lot of touring it might be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The beauty of cycling is that bikes are simple. A pinion gearbox sounds like “over engineering” to me.

Mind you ... a bit hypocritical of me given I have a bike with electronic gears! :)

how would that compare to a similarly kitted out bike with standard gears? looks like a €3k premium for the gearbox or thereabouts - if that's the cheapest?

For comparison:

Rose Activa Pro Pinion 18spd €4,100
    Rose Activa Pro Pinion 12spd €3,100
    Rose Activa Pro Rohloff €3,500
    Rose Activa Pro Shimano XT €2,400

€700 or €1,700 premium for the Pinion over the standard derailleur.

Advertisement