Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low lying placenta - Advice please

Options
  • 12-05-2020 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi everyone. I'm due my first baby at the end of June currently just gone 33 weeks, in the last few hospital appointments the Consultant I've been seeing has told me my placenta is low and they will need to monitor it and this could mean the baby having to be delivered by C Section, yesterday while at the hospital for a scan the Consultant said the placenta has still not moved and said that I need to come back again next so they can check again and told me to bring a bag as they may have to keep me in until the baby is delivered, I haven't experienced any bleeding and the thoughts of having to spend weeks at the hospital leading up to the delivery without being able to see my husband or family is getting me down. Anyone else in the same situation??? or anyone would has had a similar experience would live to hear from you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

NewMum2be wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm due my first baby at the end of June currently just gone 33 weeks, in the last few hospital appointments the Consultant I've been seeing has told me my placenta is low and they will need to monitor it and this could mean the baby having to be delivered by C Section, yesterday while at the hospital for a scan the Consultant said the placenta has still not moved and said that I need to come back again next so they can check again and told me to bring a bag as they may have to keep me in until the baby is delivered, I haven't experienced any bleeding and the thoughts of having to spend weeks at the hospital leading up to the delivery without being able to see my husband or family is getting me down. Anyone else in the same situation??? or anyone would has had a similar experience would live to hear from you.

Hi,
    My placenta was low until 32 weeks but thankfully it moved, as far as i know they don't decide until 36 weeks and then you would be scheduled for a c section around 38/39 weeks this is to make sure you don't go into labour on your own. My friends placenta moved at 35wks so there's still time. If you haven't had any bleeding I don't think they would keep you in, especially with whats going on at the movement. They are probably just being cautious telling you to bring your bag. Get them to clarify what medical reason they have for keeping you in for weeks?
    Hope you are feeling ok and hopefully placenta moves for you x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

https://www.frca.co.uk/article.aspx?articleid=100647

If you're a grade 4 it's a section.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

I had one on my last. I wasn’t kept in but I was told as much as a drop of blood I was to go in. I had no bleeding thankfully and had a section at 39 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Pistachio19

See how it goes next week. How far are you from the hospital? That would be a big factor. My sister in law was over a half hour drive. Thankfully she was in hospital when she haemorrhaged, as the alternative doesn't bear thinking about. She was near the end of her pregnancy though. I can't see that any hospital will want patients staying in unless its deemed absolutely necessary in these times. So for the safety of yourself and your baby, I'd be inclined to do as the hospital advises. Fingers crossed that the placenta moves in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

A friend of mine had placenta previa and was kept in for weeks. She shared a room with another woman who was also there weeks- both had been bleeding though. Every time my friend bled she was rushed down but they delayed the section as long as they could, although she was born early eventually. . I would also be inclined to take their advice, if they want to keep you in it must be the best place for you, as boring as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 NewMum2be

Thanks ladies for taking the time to reply to me it's much appreciated. I asked the Consultant yesterday could I just not come in when and if I experience bleeding, she asked how far away I'm living which is a good 30 minutes so she said then I would probably have to stay in if it's still low next week as if I start to bleed it would be like a tap being turned on. Looking at my hospital notes yesterday from my previous appointment at the end of April it said Grannum Grade is 0. My sister does live in the city though on her own I might ask if I could just stay with her and go to the hospital then if anything were to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I don’t think it would be too bad in hospital. I think they have different wards for pre and post natal care, you could ask where you’d be (for noise) etc. And if you can go out. You won’t be missing out on much given that we’re in lockdown and there’s nowhere to go!! Another friend of mine had a different problem recently with blood pressure and was kept in- they didn’t know if it was going to turn to preeclampsia which can also be urgent time wise so they wanted her in... she was well enough to get out for walks and go for lunch and coffee with her husband (pre lock down when the restaurants were open!). You might be able to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Thanks ladies for taking the time to reply to me it's much appreciated. I asked the Consultant yesterday could I just not come in when and if I experience bleeding, she asked how far away I'm living which is a good 30 minutes so she said then I would probably have to stay in if it's still low next week as if I start to bleed it would be like a tap being turned on. Looking at my hospital notes yesterday from my previous appointment at the end of April it said Grannum Grade is 0. My sister does live in the city though on her own I might ask if I could just stay with her and go to the hospital then if anything were to happen.

Sure it wasn't Gravida?
    It's how many times a woman has been pregnant

Grav and Para (how many were carried to viability)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Hi Op,
    I had this on my first pregnancy and it resolved itself before 39 weeks but I had a planned section for other reasons anyway. Just take it easy and be alert for any bleeding. It is quite common and rarely causes major complications.

Hey Rodin, just checked it there as I took a pic of the notes yesterday it says Placenta: anterior low, Grannum Grade 0, structure normal.

That's good to hear Lazygal that it resolved itself before 39 weeks gives me some hope mine will too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have a friend on her third, started bleeding around the middle of third trimester I think.It was heavy bleeds alright.Low placenta was missed until she went into the A&E for the second or third time.She was kept in for several days I think and eventually a section was done.

Hi Shesty that could have been serious for her, thank god it was detected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Hi, no experience of the placenta issue but I was sent to hospital from a GP appt with suspected pre eclampsia at 36+5 and told to "bring a bag" which of course put the fear of God into me, I dreaded the hospital and had hoped for a quick delivery and early release throughout my pregnancy - really we have little control over these things.

I was admitted that evening after assessment and I was so upset, I couldn't bear the thoughts of being on my own in hospital away from my family, sharing a ward with strangers etc etc.... but it was actually grand. Everyone else in the ward was in the same boat of not wanting to be there but accepting that it was the safest place for them and baby. It was a long few nights and I'm sure the thoughts of it are even worse with the current visitor restrictions, but really it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things. You get into a routine with meals and constant checks from midwives. My baby was delivered at 37+2 and I left 4 nights later, so 8 night stay in total.

I know the idea of staying in the city with your sister may seem more comfortable but if I were you I would really take the hospitals advice and stay there. If the bleeding could be like a tap turning on as they've told you, you won't have time to waste..compare being in a ward with midwives when you potentially start to bleed, with having to get yourself from your sister's place to the hospital, through admissions etc. Time is everything in an emergency situation and baby arriving safely is the most important. You probably got a shock to hear of being admitted so early, but try not to worry, midwives and other expectant/new mothers are some of the most supportive people you'll meet at this time in your life, they know what you're going through and will help you every step of the way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Hi Shesty that could have been serious for her, thank god it was detected though.

Yes, it's good that yours has been picked up. I am not sharing the story to highlight the deficiency in picking up the placenta so late, as the hospital in question are generally excellent, but more to say that she did have a number of late bleeds and they weren't small, so might be best to take medical advice.

Advertisement