Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipless set up...

Options
  • 12-05-2020 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

So I’ve got back into cycling of late and want to move to clipless.

I have a cheap Halfords road bike. I might upgrade in the future, potentially to a cyclo or gravel bike as I’d like to do a little bit of trail riding.

For now though for that reason, and i might end up commuting (Very small walk then to the office) and it looks easier for general clipping in being both sides of the pedal I’m looking at mountain bike clipless set up for my road bike.

I know this is VERY controversial but this is my decision. Can ye advise me on the below though please.

Are the shoes compatible with the pedals? I think they are and size wise is 48 or for me?

For pedals:

Look X track En Rage plus - leaning towards these over the XTR’s.
    https://www.bike24.com/p2257998.html?menu=1000,2,142

Or

Shimano XTR
    https://www.bike24.com/p2271586.html?menu=1000,2,142

Shoes: ... I’m a uk size 12-12.5 so was thinkin 48 for these?
    https://www.bike24.com/p2295860.html?menu=1000,18,58

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭cletus

For pedals, I use shimano m520's. They are substantially cheaper than the pedals you've listed, and are considered pretty much bullet proof.

Shoes wise, it's up to yourself, as long as they take SPD clips.

I'm using Shimano mt3's, because they Lace up, and don't look like cycling shoes. (Please bear in mind I prefer loose fit bicycle shorts and ankle socks when cycling, so fashion might not be considered my strong point around these parts :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

cletus wrote: »
    For pedals, I use shimano m520's. They are substantially cheaper than the pedals you've listed, and are considered pretty much bullet proof.

Shoes wise, it's up to yourself, as long as they take SPD clips.

I'm using Shimano mt3's, because they Lace up, and don't look like cycling shoes. (Please bear in mind I prefer loose fit bicycle shorts and ankle socks when cycling, so fashion might not be considered my strong point around these parts :D)

I’m looking at these particular pedals as they seem to have a slightly wider circumference which in theory I’d imagine is more comfortable for a longer ride. Can live with the price.

Does 48 sound right for a UK 12 or so normal shoe size? I’ve seen lots of varying size guides online.

I’m looking at these particular pedals as they seem to have a slightly wider circumference which in theory I’d imagine is more comfortable for a longer ride. Can live with the price.

Does 48 sound right for a UK 12 or so normal shoe size? I’ve seen lots of varying size guides online.

As you've said, sizing guides vary, I'd be very reluctant to offer advice on that. What I can say is that I'm normally a size ten, and the Shimano mt3's sitting in my hall are a size EU 46. The recommendation when I bought them was that Shimano's size small. When I tried them on initially, it felt like there was a lot of space in the toebox, but on longer cycles I appreciate that

As you've said, sizing guides vary, I'd be very reluctant to offer advice on that. What I can say is that I'm normally a size ten, and the Shimano mt3's sitting in my hall are a size EU 46. The recommendation when I bought them was that Shimano's size small. When I tried them on initially, it felt like there was a lot of space in the toebox, but on longer cycles I appreciate that

Fair play. I read that as well.

The size guide on bike24 is a bit confusing.

It says EU (US) - 48 (12.3)

The 48 bit looks right to me but a 12.3 US is about an 11 UK which would be too small.

I’m lost on sizing. Makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ULMarc

I have SPD and SPD-SL pedals. I use both for road cycling. I love the SPD pedals.

But here's the thing. The SPD's are off my bike at the moment because the shoes I bought online are too narrow a fit and I totally regret not buying something I've tried on first. I've never had shoe width be a problem for me so it was unexpected. I put up with them for a few months, but realistically couldn't beat the comfort of my cheaper SPD-SL shoes.

Nothing to do with the pedal type. Just my anecdote on buying shoes.

• Advertisement

Full sizing on the tongue of my shoe

EU - 46
    US - 11.2
    CM - 29.2

Im a standard size 10 in almst everything

Full sizing on the tongue of my shoe

EU - 46
    US - 11.2
    CM - 29.2

Im a standard size 10 in almst everything

Just looking a my runners. It says uk 12, USA 13. So might go 49 with shimano.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ULMarc wrote: »
    but realistically couldn't beat the comfort of my cheaper SPD-SL shoes.

Nothing to do with the pedal type. Just my anecdote on buying shoes.
    do your SPD-SL shoes not take SPD clips? a lot do - i've a btwin pair of shoes which are both SPD and SPD-SL compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ULMarc

do your SPD-SL shoes not take SPD clips? a lot do - i've a btwin pair of shoes which are both SPD and SPD-SL compatible.

Maybe they do, but I'd lose the benefits of the recessed cleats then. I do throw the SPD's back on from time-to-time. Only because the SPD shoes are flashier and it's important to feel pretty sometimes. :D

Apart from the recessed cleat I much prefer the platform of the SPD-SL pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Dont get tight shoes whatever you do..

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Dont get tight shoes whatever you do..

Probably gonna go 49. Sure i can wear thick socks if I need to.

Worst case scenario I send them back.

I’ll leave the order to later though in case anyone else has input

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Have you money to burn? No point at all in getting pedals at that price your looking at for recreational/commuting.

If you're looking for Shimano pedals with a platform go with something like the M530. I've had the same set on my MTB for 7 years and I've not been gentle with them and they work as well as day 1. Or if money is really burning a hole go XT. XTR isn't worth the price tag unless youre racing at a serious level and looking to shave off a few grams for that extra 0.2 seconds on a climb.

Personally I don't think the platform/trail cage makes much difference even on big marathon rides.

I'm a 12 UK and the 48 in Shimano fits perfectly.

Edit: Can't really see a need for trail pedals for cyclocross or gravel riding. IMO it doesn't provide much support once you're actually clipped in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Everything Italian

I use M520s on a (Colnago) road bike. Love 'em
    For shoes, I've always found Shimano to be too narrow a fit and in general, at least until you have a bit if experience, I'd advise to buy locally rather than online so that you can try them - I've sent back 2-3 pairs in recent years; despite seeming to be my size, they weren't. There is a lot of variability in cycling shoe size and fit.

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Have you money to burn? No point at all in getting pedals at that price your looking at for recreational/commuting.

If you're looking for Shimano pedals with a platform go with something like the M530. I've had the same set on my MTB for 7 years and I've not been gentle with them and they work as well as day 1. Or if money is really burning a hole go XT. XTR isn't worth the price tag unless youre racing at a serious level and looking to shave off a few grams for that extra 0.2 seconds on a climb.

Personally I don't think the platform/trail cage makes much difference even on big marathon rides.

I'm a 12 UK and the 48 in Shimano fits perfectly.

Edit: Can't really see a need for trail pedals for cyclocross or gravel riding. IMO it doesn't provide much support once you're actually clipped in.

I might chance 48’s then so. Thanks.

It’s not that I have money to burn but liked the look of the wider dual sided Look or XTR pedals.

Will look at the 530 pedals. Didn’t know they existed. Thanks

I know others are saying to go to a shop but even if they were open I wouldn’t want to go to them due to Covid. That’s another conversation. My preference currently is to shop for as much online as humanly possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stoneybats

I have the Shimano M530 which have the cage similar to those X track, they've had plenty of use and no complaints at all. Can be picked up for €30. I use the bike for hopping around town plenty and so find the cage handy when using real-life shoes too.

Went with:

The look pedals
    https://www.bike24.com/p2257998.html

And

48 size of these nice looking (imo) Shimano shoes.
    https://www.bike24.com/p2255550.html?menu=1000,18,58&action=basketquickdelete&delete_key=255550_0

Thanks for the input all. Can’t wait to fit them and get out for a spin!

Well wear

Advertisement