Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Most efficient way to move USD to Ireland

• 12-05-2020 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ ctlsleh

I sold some company RSUs and have to move the USD from US e-trade account to my bank.
    E-trade want to charge ~2% to do a Euro wire transfer which is quite steep.
    Anyone know is there a more efficient way to do a transfer?
    Last time i got them to send me a cheque, but it took about 6 weeks for it to get it cleared........
    anyone experienced the same and found a better way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭ cooperguy

Transferwise borderless account? They will give you US bank account number to transfer the number into, you can then transfer to a euro account and then out to your own bank account.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 9,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭ F1ngers

I have an e-trade account for US shares too.
    I use transferwise for SSP and then convert it to a € account.

Transfer wise charge a fee too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭ AmberGold

ctlsleh wrote: »
    I sold some company RSUs and have to move the USD from US e-trade account to my bank.
    Last time i got them to send me a cheque, but it took about 6 weeks for it to get it cleared........

Transfer out in $ to Currencyfair and then do the exchange to € with them at a favourable rate.

Did one yesterday and cash was with Currencyfair today and will be in my AIB account tomorrow. I saved myself 3k today against AIB rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ towger

ctlsleh wrote: »

I’ve used Revolut . I also have an eTrade account and was able to wire to my Revolut in USD and then convert to Euro when it suits me and rate is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ ctlsleh

towger wrote: »
    I’ve used Revolut . I also have an eTrade account and was able to wire to my Revolut in USD and then convert to Euro when it suits me and rate is good.

Is there a limit in terms of how much you can transfer into a Revolut Account though? Thought I read that somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭ Limestone1

There isn't a limit on how much you can transfer but there is a limit on how much you can do at real time forex rates. Above that they will hit you with an extra charge or % .

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ towger

Limestone1 wrote: »
    There isn't a limit on how much you can transfer but there is a limit on how much you can do at real time forex rates. Above that they will hit you with an extra charge or % .

The limit above is per month, so you can exchange it over time to avoid the fees. Also premium and metal cards have a greater ( or no ) limit, but those cards cost extra .... depending on the value you are transferring that can be a cheaper option.

Advertisement