Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find childminder

Options
  • 11-05-2020 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

My wife works for the HSE and will be going back to work in a few weeks.
    As an essential worker, we will be allowed to take on a childminder
    Any suggestions for where we can find one?
    Tried mindme.ie, but you have to sign up to €20/month membership and they keep taking the money until you cancel. Also, I’m not sure how much traffic it gets.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

CarPark2 wrote: »
    My wife works for the HSE and will be going back to work in a few weeks.
    As an essential worker, we will be allowed to take on a childminder
    Any suggestions for where we can find one?
    Tried mindme.ie, but you have to sign up to €20/month membership and they keep taking the money until you cancel. Also, I’m not sure how much traffic it gets.
    Any suggestions?

You could email a local crèche, they might have staff who would be glad of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We would have used schooldays.ie in the past with success.But also try local places.Are there any suggestions given to you by the HSE or Government where to look, or is it just local notices?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

Word of mouth. If there is a local toddler group or anything like that. Mention it to everyone you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Also, I don’t know If you’re looking for something permanent or just while restrictions are in place. I took it to be the latter, that’s why I advised looking for someone out of work to bridge the gap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It seems bizarre to me, I (wrongly) thought that since they were stating HSE staff could get in childcare, they would somehow being be providing a list or something?Don't know where I got that idea.
    Seems like a massive fuss over something that didn't need a massive fuss?Or is it that they are funding the childcare?Surely the fuss wasn't just over safety concerns...???

Excuse my ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

According to last weeks statement from Minister Zappone

"Early next week, eligible health workers will be advised to contact a Pobal Parent Support Centre to request the service and to indicate their childcare needs and preferences."

The contact details dont appear to have been announced yet. And from the statement, yes a list/details of childcare providers doing it will be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Where you based? There is a private Facebook group called childminders Dublin south but it seems to have nannys / Au pairs / minders from all over Dublin if you are located up here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-childcare-scheme-for-healthcare-workers-cancelled-1.4252787?mode=amp

Unfortunately OP, it looks like this one is not going to happen.
    I have no idea what they think the alternative will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭CarPark2

jlm29 wrote: »
    Also, I don’t know If you’re looking for something permanent or just while restrictions are in place. I took it to be the latter, that’s why I advised looking for someone out of work to bridge the gap.

Ya, sorry i should have explained. We are looking for something permanent. So i don't think that the creche's would want their staff taken!

Where you based? There is a private Facebook group called childminders Dublin south but it seems to have nannys / Au pairs / minders from all over Dublin if you are located up here.

Thanks. We are based in north Wexford, so probably not suitable, but thanks for the info.

• Advertisement

shesty wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-childcare-scheme-for-healthcare-workers-cancelled-1.4252787?mode=amp

Unfortunately OP, it looks like this one is not going to happen.
    I have no idea what they think the alternative will be.

To be honest, we are happy to organise our own. We have used a creche up to now, but with an extra child, we think it makes sense to go with somebody in our home. So, we want to get a long-term solution. If there is some financial help with that, then great, but even if not, we will still need to sort something out.

If that's the case I would suggest local shops and we did find schooldays.ie to be quite good. Rollercoaster.ie has a section, but there was a lot of rubbish there, so although I did try it, I didn't bother keeping track because it wasn't worth it. Word of mouth around local creches and that would be good. Some minders may have come free due to the current situation, so putting up an ad of your own locally could be useful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

I found my childminder on schooldays.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We found our first minder through word of mouth. Our current minder we got via schooldays.ie, I put up a post on there and Rollercoaster and all I got from Rollercoaster was timewasters.
    If the minder is in your home, as is the case for us (I am an essential worker who can't really work from home, my husband is working fulltime at home) they'll be an employee so make sure you're registered with revenue and to include the cost of payroll, employers' prsi etc. I'm really glad we have this set up now that it seems children can't go to a minder's house and creches won't be open for who knows how long. I've given our minder a letter to confirm she can travel for work so I can go to work, she has been stopped a few times on her way over.

Advertisement