Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Fly Fishing.

Options
  • 11-05-2020 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Evening.

I took up Fly fishing last year and am loving it. ( Although I'm not very good at it. Trying to get better every time I go out)

Just wondering where is the best place in Ireland to buy flies. Any links would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone has any tip they would give a novice?

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

yogidc26 wrote: »
    Evening.

I took up Fly fishing last year and am loving it. ( Although I'm not very good at it. Trying to get better every time I go out)

Just wondering where is the best place in Ireland to buy flies. Any links would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone has any tip they would give a novice?

Many Thanks.

If your on facebook join up to the brown trout society or seatrout society there are loads of first class fly tiers there
    Other than that any tackle shop will have them

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

I would focus on your casting for now. If into rivers then focus on watercraft.

I would highly recommend you get some casting lessons and/or find a fishing buddy.

I started in 2000 and I reckon it was 2002 before I caught a fish - I was fishing a very hard river, but I could not cast for **** and had bad watercraft, ie no stealth when on or near the river, casting to wrong places, etc, fishing wrong time of day.

Being able to cast properly was the first big step for me. Having great flies (I did btw) made no difference back then! Watercraft you'll pick up as you go.

As for flies I tie my own (don't start, it is like a class A drug addiction!), I used to buy local where you can touch and see the flies, some lousy stuff online then and now for that matter. There is a guy here that runs a shop and seems like good person to try "Ardinn", no connection. Good luck. Where you based? Are you within 5Km of fishing, please don't answer that if yes....

Advertisement