Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting sentences with "So..."

Options
  • 11-05-2020 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭

There has always been pretentious twats (and twatettes) who do this but there seems to be an epidemic of it at the moment. Half (or more) of those interviewed on Morning Ireland or similar programmes are at it. It's as infectious as Covid 19 and the only vaccine is to laugh at them until they stop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

So I do this all the time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭crossman47

First Up wrote: »
    There has always been pretentious twats (and twatettes) who do this but there seems to be an epidemic of it at the moment. Half (or more) of those interviewed on Morning Ireland or similar programmes are at it. It's as infectious as Covid 19 and the only vaccine is to laugh at them until they stop.

A few years ago they were "going forward" all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

So then I says to Mabel, I says

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ever since the DoH and Dr Holohan (who starts all
    his sentences with ‘so’ ) started doing their daily briefings I have noticed a massive increase in this way of starting a sentence (after being asked a question) and I firmly believe Holohan is to blame for the majority of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This "takeaway" bullsh1t is starting to annoy me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Ever since the DoH and Dr Holohan (who starts all his sentences with ‘so’ ) started doing their daily briefings I have noticed a massive increase in this way of starting a sentence (after being asked a question) and I firmly believe Holohan is to blame for the majority of it.

Yes a rampant epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

So I do this all the time!!!

Consider yourself laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It is indeed, so it is.

Or like if you're from Limerick.

Dunno what they cay in Cork, have never understood the accent well enough to tell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

I don't think the widespread use of "So" is really pretentious; "So" has just come to replace "Well" over the last couple of years. I found it irritating at first but I suppose we have to accept the evolution of the vernacular. Having said that, I'll never accept the increasingly used "I seen" as anything other than an abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

ya know at the end of every sentence

Much beloved of every post match interview of a Tipperary GAA player ya know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

mikemac2 wrote: »
    ya know at the end of every sentence

Much beloved of every post match interview of a Tipperary GAA player ya know

And the sentence usually starts with "Sure lookit..."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm going to circle back on this thread later and see how it develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

This "takeaway" bullsh1t is starting to annoy me

So the takeaway from this thread is...? Surely there's a few action points from all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

yeaaaaaaaa, soooo ehhhhh feck off an stop policing other peoples way of speaking ya lockdown addled gobsheen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Do a deer, a female deer
    Re, a drop of golden sun
    Mi, a name I call myself
    Fa, a long, long way to run
    So, a needle pulling thread
    La, a note to follow So

Never mind So.

The only thing they could say about La was it follows So . That's just BS :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

So what

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

So, I was actually looking this up the other day...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_(sentence_opener)

Various suggestions have been made as to its purpose:
    • as a coordinating conjunctive to refer backwards to something previously mentioned
    • as a discourse marker
    • to signal that the following words are chosen for their relevance to the listener
    • to provide a small amount of extra thinking time
    In his Modern English translation of Beowulf, Irish poet Seamus Heaney uses "So." to translate the single-word opening line, Hwæt! (also rendered 'lo', 'hark', 'listen', etc). He explains that "in Hiberno-English Scullion-speak [...] 'so' operates as an expression that obliterates all previous discourse and narrative, and at the same time functions as an exclamation calling for immediate attention. So, 'so' it was"

so it goes

Advertisement