Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best international merchant payment gateway service.

• 10-05-2020 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I'm in the process of creating a wordpress plugin with a payment option. I want customers to have the option of using paypal or their credit/debit card with a payment merchant gateway.

The average payment will be around 10€. I'm expecting a small no. of international transactions to begin with. Rising gradually.

What gateway should I use ? I'm looking at aib authipay atm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you want to use AIB or any of the other Irish banks then you'll need both a merchant account with the bank as well as a gateway provider.
    Starting out it might be simpler to use Paypal and Stripe or similar, as the setup is simpler.
    I'd recommend getting the details on the fees from a number of the providers and see what your total costs are per transaction.
    Paypal and the banks will give you better rates as your transaction volumes and values increase, though it's not easy to get access to the full rate list.

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

There is no doubt, the first service that comes into mind is PayPal but I think you can try Payoneer. They recently secured e-money license from the Central bank of Ireland. They also have head office in Dublin. You can Google it to get further information.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

What's your industry and monthly volumes?

Depending on your business it may be considered high risk, if you want something really quick Stripe is the way to go. However, the problem with guys like Stripe/Square/Paypal is they can cut you off one day and hold your funds on a moments notice as they aren't acquirers

• Registered Users Posts: 38 irishhombre

Stripe is the only way to go.....paypal are a pain and forget the banks.

revolut are also breaking into this market, worth a look.

regards
    IH

Stripe is the only way to go.....paypal are a pain and forget the banks.

The banks might not be the most cost effective when you are starting out but simply ignoring them is a terrible idea. The rates we get from the bank are better than anything Stripe or others will offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

mneylon wrote: »
    ...The rates we get from the bank are better than anything Stripe or others will offer.

What are the banks rates do you know?

Stripe are a simple 1.4% + 25c. (for Euro anyway).

Paypal Express - 3.4% + 35c

Since earlier this year neither Stripe nor PayPal refund fees for refunded transactions which, when some of your sales are €3k-€5k, can be very costly.

I'd be weary of Revolut. Still unable to get a licence in Ireland and recording massive losses.

Scotty # wrote: »
    What are the banks rates do you know?

Stripe are a simple 1.4% + 25c. (for Euro anyway).

Paypal Express - 3.4% + 35c

Since earlier this year neither Stripe nor PayPal refund fees for refunded transactions which, when some of your sales are €3k-€5k, can be very costly.

I'd have to dig them out and I'm not sure if I'm really meant to even publish them :) , but it's a two part thing:
    1 - gateway fees - currently we're using GlobalPay (Realex)
    2 - the merchant fees - currently via AIB

We also use Paypal but only for a percentage of our overall transactions. With Paypal you get better rates based on your volumes and track record.

Michele

I'd have to dig them out and I'm not sure if I'm really meant to even publish them :) , but it's a two part thing:

We also use Paypal but only for a percentage of our overall transactions. With Paypal you get better rates based on your volumes and track record.

Michele

Thanks Michele,

I use Realex and a AIB merchant account too for my UK site. I'll have to double check but I think the fees work out considerably more than Stripe.

I can't use Stripe on that site as our Sterling account is not a BACS account and you have to use a BACS account with Stripe.

Thanks Michele,

I use Realex and a AIB merchant account too for my UK site. I'll have to double check but I think the fees work out considerably more than Stripe.
    I don't doubt that.
    The rates we pay have been renegotiated multiple times over the past 10+ years
    We did look at Stripe etc., fairly recently but it didn't make sense

However if I was starting to sell online now with no trading record etc., I'd probably use Stripe

Michele

• Advertisement

I don't doubt that.
    The rates we pay have been renegotiated multiple times over the past 10+ years
    We did look at Stripe etc., fairly recently but it didn't make sense

However if I was starting to sell online now with no trading record etc., I'd probably use Stripe

Michele

Yes thats good advice. Stripe's underwriting standards are a bit looser than first data or one of the big acquirers, obviously theres some industries that are harder to get payment solutions for but if its something low risk the choice is yours

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭living

Michele

Hi Michele,

We are also using Global Payments and AIB and I was wondering if you are having problems with the "moto" transactions (the ones where the customer doesn't need to be challenged, for example, a recurring payment) since March. We randomly get 111 errors (Strong Customer Authentication Required)

Thanks in advance

living wrote: »
    Hi Michele,

We are also using Global Payments and AIB and I was wondering if you are having problems with the "moto" transactions (the ones where the customer doesn't need to be challenged, for example, a recurring payment) since March. We randomly get 111 errors (Strong Customer Authentication Required)

Thanks in advance

Moto transactions are when the card is not present when you're taking the payment (ie. phone order, etc). Do not take moto payments if the card is present as it will mean you are liable for fraud rather than the bank.

The SCA (3D Secure v2) error means their card provider wants them to verify the transaction (via code by SMS or whatever) but your terminal or account is not offering it. You need to contact Realex/GlobalPayments as this will become more and more frequent for you as more cards are 3DS enabled.

Moto transactions are when the card is not present when you're taking the payment (ie. phone order, etc). Do not take moto payments if the card is present as it will mean you are liable for fraud rather than the bank.

The SCA (3D Secure v2) error means their card provider wants them to verify the transaction (via code by SMS or whatever) but your terminal or account is not offering it. You need to contact Realex/GlobalPayments as this will become more and more frequent for you as more cards are 3DS enabled.

Yes correct, taking card not present payments when the cardholder is present is against card scheme rules and your acquirer/payment facilitator will be fined who will probably push that liability onto you. If it's a re occurring thing, you may be terminated and will end up on a black list on VISA/MasterCard where by it will be incredibly hard or nearly impossible to get a terminal/solution with another provider..

Thanks Scotty & Figel. Sorry that I didn't explain it properly, we only use moto transactions for phone/offline orders, any purchase on the website requires the customer's authentication.

The problem is that those moto transactions are randomly failing. It seems that other companies are having the same issues, especially when the amount to charge is over €750. We are think of moving to a different gateway if this is not fixed soon.

living wrote: »
    The problem is that those moto transactions are randomly failing.
    They are not 'randomly' failing. They are failing because your customer is trying to pay with an SCA enabled card but your terminal (virtual or physical) is not SCA enabled. You need to speak to GlobalPayments or whoever supplied your terminal and have them enable SCA on your account.

They are not 'randomly' failing. They are failing because your customer is trying to pay with an SCA enabled card but your terminal (virtual or physical) is not SCA enabled. You need to speak to GlobalPayments or whoever supplied your terminal and have them enable SCA on your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 irishhombre

forget paypal, total pain...stripe all day long.

Advertisement