Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract Expiry SSE

Options
  • 10-05-2020 1:42pm

This isn’t a specific consumer issue with SSE Airtricity but I’m a consumer and I have an issue, and I can’t see one other applicable forum here to put this in.

How do I find out how long is left on my contract with SSE Airtricity (without ringing them)? Could it be rolling or is it always fixed annually? My bills are absolutely desperate and I want to change as soon as I can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

If you haven't changed plan or made an agreement since last may, then you are out of contract.

Ring them, they may make a new offer, or call one of the other suppliers.

Try making a specific month a month that you look at all utilities/services for a better deal or put a forward reminder into your phone

silver2020 wrote: »
    If you haven't changed plan or made an agreement since last may, then you are out of contract.

Ring them, they may make a new offer, or call one of the other suppliers.

Try making a specific month a month that you look at all utilities/services for a better deal or put a forward reminder into your phone

It would have been a January I originally signed up (2015). That would probably mean I’ve agreed to something this January, even by default in keeping paying them since. Do they automatically go year at a time or do they ever just go rolling?
    As far as I remember the only change I ever made was to go off the same fee every 4 months thing, and just go to paying the usage around 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

What if he is on a two year contract? The only way you will know for sure is ring and ask. You never know, if they get an inkling you are moving they may make an offer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

If you can access ‘older’ bills you can see when they went up.

As an aside , I was with SSE for years and getting a decent discount, until 2018.
    Offered me 8%, then 10% over the phone. I left. For Energia. The same SSE employee rang me up and offered 23% and €150 if I stayed, without a trace of irony. At least with Energia this year the guy apologized and hoped I be back. There’s better deals out there now, but I changed to electric Ireland @29% and a lower standing charge. I am in no doubt I will have to change again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

joeysoap wrote: »
    If you can access ‘older’ bills you can see when they went up.

As an aside , I was with SSE for years and getting a decent discount, until 2018.
    Offered me 8%, then 10% over the phone. I left. For Energia. The same SSE employee rang me up and offered 23% and €150 if I stayed, without a trace of irony. At least with Energia this year the guy apologized and hoped I be back. There’s better deals out there now, but I changed to electric Ireland @29% and a lower standing charge. I am in no doubt I will have to change again next year.
    I had a similar issue with Bord Gais. You have to be hard nosed and point out you can get cheaper elsewhere. Make the threat, and if they dont sort you out, MOVE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

It would have been a January I originally signed up (2015). That would probably mean I’ve agreed to something this January, even by default in keeping paying them since. Do they automatically go year at a time or do they ever just go rolling?
    As far as I remember the only change I ever made was to go off the same fee every 4 months thing, and just go to paying the usage around 2017.

you've been overpaying for the past 4 years.

They cannot rollover to new 12 month contracts without specific agreement from you.

I'm with Panda Power. they call me every year to ask if I wish to continue on their discounted rate. I could probably save 5% shopping around, but happy that they always call me ahead of the contract ending with a decent offer to stay

btw, all you do is get a bill, go online to whoever you want to move to, enter the details and in most cases the meter reading and they do the rest. No need to call sse. Its all done automatically. Basically, you could have it done in the next 30 minutes.

If you use gas, do the same.

If you have sky / mobile phone / broadband and all are more than 12 months (24 in case of some mobile plans with subsidised phones) since you took the contracts, do the same.

silver2020 wrote: »
    you've been overpaying for the past 4 years.

They cannot rollover to new 12 month contracts without specific agreement from you.

I'm with Panda Power. they call me every year to ask if I wish to continue on their discounted rate. I could probably save 5% shopping around, but happy that they always call me ahead of the contract ending with a decent offer to stay

Cheers. I must have agreed to something in January then, I thought I might have been able to see the end date on the My SSE page online but I don’t see it anywhere. I always avoided switching because of the hassle and I’d never be able to do the haggling thing on the phone but I’ll definitely change online in January 2021 now that I’ve seen how much I can save, even in an old hard to heat house.

Advertisement