Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen extension design- too much light a problem?

Options
  • 10-05-2020 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all - wondering if people have opinions on whether too much direct light is a bad thing? Are there do's and dont's for too much light?

Looking at doing a kitchen extension that, if built in one spot would be bathed in sunlight from early morning all day and get last light, doors from kitchen would be south facing. But would change the nature of the garden in a way that would not be ideal, and the kitchen would kind of be "out the back of the house".

If in another spot, it would mean looking out onto that sunny spot in the garden, but the kitchen itself would not see direct light until about midday. This design would incorporate the kitchen much better into the existing house, would also give direct access to garden, but doors would be north facing. There would be light from lots of windows.

There are other considerations in either option, like flow etc, but in principal, just trying to understand what we should be factoring in when deciding purely on sunlight. Would welcome peoples' thoughts, experience, insight on this.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Built in 2015 - Would you get a consultation from previous designer?

Will new extension make certain rooms into circulation routes?

Will area of the existing house become darker as a result of the extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Chris_F20

BryanF wrote: »
    Built in 2015 - Would you get a consultation from previous designer?

Will new extension make certain rooms into circulation routes?

Will area of the existing house become darker as a result of the extension?

Thanks for the response.

House was built neary 100 years ago!

The second option (bathed in sunlight) certainly makes one room a thoroughfare/circulation route. Also dislocates the kitchen from dining & sitting rooms. But it doesn't impact on light of other rooms.

The first option would bring more light into the existing dining room, and this would be the only room impacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Chris_F20 wrote: »
    Hi all - wondering if people have opinions on whether too much direct light is a bad thing? Are there do's and dont's for too much light?

Looking at doing a kitchen extension that, if built in one spot would be bathed in sunlight from early morning all day and get last light, doors from kitchen would be south facing. But would change the nature of the garden in a way that would not be ideal, and the kitchen would kind of be "out the back of the house".

If in another spot, it would mean looking out onto that sunny spot in the garden, but the kitchen itself would not see direct light until about midday. This design would incorporate the kitchen much better into the existing house, would also give direct access to garden, but doors would be north facing. There would be light from lots of windows.

There are other considerations in either option, like flow etc, but in principal, just trying to understand what we should be factoring in when deciding purely on sunlight. Would welcome peoples' thoughts, experience, insight on this.

Personally I’d always prefer as much light as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Personally I’d always prefer as much light as possible

In summer it could be extremely warm, winter cold depending on insulation, windows etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Might it be too bright in direct sun? Like having to squint?? Can design resolve that? Saw on bbc the other night reference to brise soleil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

JJJackal wrote: »
    In summer it could be extremely warm, winter cold depending on insulation, windows etc

Could use blinds in summer, or open windows.

Proper insulation and windows it should never be cold.

Depends on design and spec really...

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Personally I would not make a change that had any detrimental effect on the sunlight in the garden, which is sounds like the first option does?

Once there are plenty of windows to allow light in then not having the sun all day is not a big deal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Chris_F20

awec wrote: »
    Personally I would not make a change that had any detrimental effect on the sunlight in the garden, which is sounds like the first option does?

Once there are plenty of windows to allow light in then not having the sun all day is not a big deal at all.

First option does this a little, but not at all significantly. It's more that this option effectively is an extension at the back of the house across the garden, so looking back at the main house. The extension is joined to the house by the return (current kitchen), so its the current kitchen that becomes a thoroughfare. Garden will be along the side of the house, west facing, with sun from south hitting it too.

Current garden is along the side of the house and across the back. The less bright extension leaves garden as is, involved building where the garage is, so all rooms to the rear of the house look out on the garden. Again, this approach means the kitchen is in the heart of the house. Ultimately, I think we'll be going with a design that is based on this.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think if you want more thoughts on here you should draw up a basic diagram. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

awec wrote: »
    I think if you want more thoughts on here you should draw up a basic diagram. :)

I may confuse things further, drawing is not my strong point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Could use blinds in summer, or open windows.

Proper insulation and windows it should never be cold.

Depends on design and spec really...

Our kitchen is south facing with a large glass slider and Veluxs. The only issue in terms of too much light is sometimes there is a glare on the TV, but it’s only used to keep the kids quiet for 5 mins so not an issue.

In terms of heat, we have triple glazed and decent inspiration so it is never cold. However - it does overheat, even on a sunny but cold day. I plan to do something about that in the future. But it’s not a major issue, just open the Veluxs or slider and it can be controlled.

Advertisement