Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking of chimney

Options
  • 10-05-2020 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭

As title says, have a down draft from chimney, was just wondering would it be ok to put a cap on top of chimney to compleatly block it. I don't use gass fire or will ever use fire. Is it ok to block this off or am i missing anything. Just makes sense to me to block this off to stop draft coming in from chimney. Anyone ever done this. Is there any cons to doung this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

As title says, have a down draft from chimney, was just wondering would it be ok to put a cap on top of chimney to compleatly block it. I don't use gass fire or will ever use fire. Is it ok to block this off or am i missing anything. Just makes sense to me to block this off to stop draft coming in from chimney. Anyone ever done this. Is there any cons to doung this?

Currently the chimney is providing ventilation to the room. The question you need the answer to is- Is there enough ventilation in the room without the chimney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

@matryc5674, there is a vent in the room and doors between rooms are mostly open, just wondering is that enough ventilation, would like to block chimney bur was wondering the same about ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭con747

You could look at something like this, https://purchase.ie/product/all-products/chimney-capping-cowl

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Was wondering if there is anything like a plate that would just stick or screw on top of the chimney, had a spinning crowl before and it blew of when we has very high wins a few year back so dont want to attach any more heavy crowls on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Chimney balloons were all the rage a few years back, but haven't heard anyone mention them recently.

https://www.mcmahons.ie/chimney-balloon

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, but looking at blocking chimney compleatly. Was just wondering if there would be any disadvantages to do this eg. Dampness developing or condensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭con747

Thanks for that, but looking at blocking chimney compleatly. Was just wondering if there would be any disadvantages to do this eg. Dampness developing or condensation.

The link to a slightly vented chimney cowl I posted earlier looks best according to this article unless you fully block both ends, but I am not an expert!

One old and virtually free method of capping off, or sealing a chimney that is generally no longer used is to make a lead cap. These can simply be made out of a scrap or an offcut of lead, beaten into the correct shape and bonded to the top of most chimney pots to effectively seal it and make it waterproof. The reason this really isn’t used anymore is that sealing the pot to make it water and air tight can cause internal condensation, especially if the flue is open inside the property. If this is the case warm moist air may rise up the inside of the flue, condensate and drop back down into the property or create dampness in the brickwork of the flue itself, possibly showing itself internally at a later stage.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭chooseusername

con747 wrote: »
    The link to a slightly vented chimney cowl I posted earlier looks best according to this article unless you fully block both ends, but I am not an expert!

One old and virtually free method of capping off, or sealing a chimney that is generally no longer used is to make a lead cap. These can simply be made out of a scrap or an offcut of lead, beaten into the correct shape and bonded to the top of most chimney pots to effectively seal it and make it waterproof. The reason this really isn’t used anymore is that sealing the pot to make it water and air tight can cause internal condensation, especially if the flue is open inside the property. If this is the case warm moist air may rise up the inside of the flue, condensate and drop back down into the property or create dampness in the brickwork of the flue itself, possibly showing itself internally at a later stage.
    Make a dome shape of the lead to throw the rain off,and
    hammer nail holes upwards through it to allow the warm moist air out .
    Clip on with this;

• Registered Users Posts: 33,634 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ive blocked 3 chimneys on mine recently. Two fire and old agaa chimney.

C Cap on top of chimney. I pulled the bottom in the room with a shaped piece of EPS. And then filled the entire stack with loose EPS ball fill same stuff that is used in cavity fills without the glue.

So the entire thing is blocked off now and can be reversed very easily by pulling the plug in the room.

I had balloons before this but they keep on going down and can get sucked up often by high wind. Crap.

Thanks for all your replys, was thinking condensation could be an issue if i blocked it off compleatly, will have to look further into this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement