Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kids road bike tyres

Options
  • 10-05-2020 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭

ive just bought the young fella a road bike.. hes grown out of what he had and one came up fairly cheap on done deal, and id like to start the indoctrination now :D
    question is , are there any non slick tyres thatl fit on it, im not looking for mountain bike or even cross tyres , just something with a little bit of tread, we would cycle on forest paths fairly often, they are in good condition id take my own road bike on them, but just for a tiny bit more grip and even puncture resistance .. ive been googling most of the morning and the smallest i can see are 1 and 1/8 inch which would appear to be 28s ish which would seem ok in theory but its impossible to know without having the things in your hand.. so does anyone have any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

woody1 wrote: »
    ive just bought the young fella a road bike.. hes grown out of what he had and one came up fairly cheap on done deal, and id like to start the indoctrination now :D
    question is , are there any non slick tyres thatl fit on it, im not looking for mountain bike or even cross tyres , just something with a little bit of tread, we would cycle on forest paths fairly often, they are in good condition id take my own road bike on them, but just for a tiny bit more grip and even puncture resistance .. ive been googling most of the morning and the smallest i can see are 1 and 1/8 inch which would appear to be 28s ish which would seem ok in theory but its impossible to know without having the things in your hand.. so does anyone have any ideas ?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/schwalbe-marathon-winter-tyre-raceguard/rp-prod80796

What number does it say on the tyre wall of your sons bike? (23-540 or 24 x 1) is on my daughters,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/schwalbe-marathon-winter-tyre-raceguard/rp-prod80796

What number does it say on the tyre wall of your sons bike? (23-540 or 24 x 1) is on my daughters,

Yeah 24 x 1 hadn't picked up the bike at that stage I have seen 20 x 1 1/8 but no 24 equivalent there's a bit of clearance but not a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

woody1 wrote: »
    Yeah 24 x 1 hadn't picked up the bike at that stage I have seen 20 x 1 1/8 but no 24 equivalent there's a bit of clearance but not a lot

If you click the link you can select 24" x 1.75" should fit, they're winter tyres. If not probably best getting cx tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

24 x 1.75 (ETRTO 507) is a different diameter than 24 x 1&⅛ (ETRTO 540) and they aren’t interchangeable.

You’ll find it difficult (but maybe not impossible) to get 540 tyres with heavy tread as the two things they’re used on are kids’ racers and wheelchairs.

Advertisement