Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibreglass, plastic or the dreaded asbestos?

Options
  • 09-05-2020 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

So I am taking off the roof of an old garage built in 1970, back of the house.

The sheets have steeline named on them and on the original architect plans it says 'to be roofed with corrigated iron sheets'.

A few must have gotten broken over the years and replaced with a clear plastic looking sheet here and there, some have a white tint to them.

I ripped those ones out today fairly handy and broke them doing so.

Now one of my neighbours is freaking at me saying oh **** that might be asbestos, which has me freaked as you can imagine, I was wearing a mask but not a great mask.

I've included a link to pics, maybe some of you could chime in based on experience.

I don't want to be planning my funeral and panicking needlessly. Dodgy builder neighbour says ah ti's grand, other neighbour has put the fear in me.

https://imgur.com/a/CKZYlFy

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Looks like perspex gone white from the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 33,631 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Asbestos doesn't usually resemble white thin sheeted plastic.

For strength a corrugated asbestos sheet would have to be about 7mm thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

BryanF wrote: »
    Looks like perspex gone white from the sun

Yeah I assumed it was some form of plastic corrugated sheet.

I've never in my life seen an asbestos corrugated sheet that was clear in places and white in others.

listermint wrote: »
    Asbestos doesn't usually resemble white thin sheeted plastic.

For strength a corrugated asbestos sheet would have to be about 7mm thick.

The next conundrum without analysis is these sheets
    https://imgur.com/a/bMhIOkw

I'm confident it's not the big bad asbestos, the original plans from around 1968 mention corrugated steel sheets.
    I cut the nails from alot of them today with a bolt cutter. Very think sheets, not far off paper thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

Best of Haulbouline cork, Galvanize. Originals stuff was never as thin as what you get now, but if course there wer different thicknesses.

• Advertisement

G-Man wrote: »
    Best of Haulbouline cork, Galvanize. Originals stuff was never as thin as what you get now, but if course there wer different thicknesses.

Asbestos risk?

As g-man says.

Be carefully taking out the fixings. You might be able to re-use or at least sell on.

italodisco wrote: »
    Asbestos risk?
    It’s galvanized aluminum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Definitely not asbestos.

I had asbestos sheets on the garage roof and recently got rid of them.

Well it's some job trying to get the bloody nails out, I'm a fairly strong built lad and I struggled to snip them with 48 inch bolt cutters lol.

I'm not planning to sell on the sheets or reuse them so I might end up attacking them with a demolition bar and lump hammer instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

italodisco wrote: »
    Well it's some job trying to get the bloody nails out, I'm a fairly strong built lad and I struggled to snip them with 48 inch bolt cutters lol.

I'm not planning to sell on the sheets or reuse them so I might end up attacking them with a demolition bar and lump hammer instead

Use a vice-grips and them nails should twist out. :eek:

Use a vice-grips and them nails should twist out. :eek:

Will Tey tomorrow thanks

Advertisement