Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which would you opt for?

Options
  • 09-05-2020 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Doing a relative low budget bike build but deciding on rims. Have tiagra 10spd to go on the bike.

I can get a nearly new set of shimano r501 for 80, Aksiums used but less than 400km for 100(with tyres) kysrium elite used but in good nick for 160 or there abouts.

I'm 100kg (plus 1 or 2) and only doing long weekend spins. No racing.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The only two things guaranteed to survive all-out nuclear war: Cockroaches and Mavic Aksiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

If the aksiums are in a much better condition than kysriums go for them otherwise go for the kysriums

A note of caution with the Kysriums and 100kg loading. Aksiums much more durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

MojoMaker wrote: »
    A note of caution with the Kysriums and 100kg loading. Aksiums much more durable.

ran ksyriums for years until my rims were through.. over 100kg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Aksium rim brake models? I had aksiums from 2014 on a bike and the rear - disc - wheel developed a known fault. Still usable, just creaked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Aksium rim brake models? I had aksiums from 2014 on a bike and the rear - disc - wheel developed a known fault. Still usable, just creaked.

Rim break yeah. 2019

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Should be fine so, I replaced my wheel in 2017 or 2018 and they'd fixed the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’d go new. You don’t know how much actual use is on the second hand ones.

Throw Mavic Cosmic Elite in there for around 180. Almost new 🀔

what's the bike to be used for?

• Advertisement

Just long cycles at the weekends, sportifs etc

Just long cycles at the weekends, sportifs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

cosmic elite? almost new? 180?

sir, you have just answered your own question :-)

snap em up.

8valve wrote: »
    cosmic elite? almost new? 180?

sir, you have just answered your own question :-)

snap em up.

Ok, didnt go for the cosmic elites because basically dont need that level of wheel and just throwing money away from whats meant to be a budget build of sorts!

Soooo

another option,

Fuclrum racing 7's with 1600km for 75 orrrrrrr

Vision team 30 brand new from merlin cycles for 135?

Anything that comes with a cassette, tubes, or tyres could be a cost effective purchase.

I sold an almost-new pair of Fulcrum 4s with tyres and cassette last year for 150.

Advertisement