Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid Cancellations

Options
  • 09-05-2020 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi, I booked accommodation for a large group in August. The event has been cancelled and the accommodation provider is seeking to roll over until next year.

These terms and conditions seem particularly onerous.

Can they really enforced this?

I've read as much as I can want consumer information, but it's mostly about flights and package holidays.

CANCELLATION POLICY (applies to direct bookings only)

Cancellations made within 7 days of ordering: Full refund will apply less the deposit, provided the order was made more than 7 days before the campsite opens.

Cancellations made within 7 days of campsite opening: No refund applicable

Cancellations made after 7 days of the time of booking, and before 7 days before the campsite opening: 50% refund will apply.

Please be aware that in the instance of the event or festival being cancelled through no fault of our own (e.g. weather, flood, pandemic, terrorism, earthquake, volcano, strikes, civil disobedience or other such cause) we reserve the right to implement the above cancellation terms.”

As you can understand, our preference is to avoid refunds, if an alternative solution can be found.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

pandemic
    That looks like it was written recently, possibly after you booked.

What did it say at the time of booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Out of curiosity, if the term "epidemics" is included in the force majeure clause of a hire contract, would that include/ cover pandemic?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Out of curiosity, if the term "epidemics" is included in the force majeure clause of a hire contract, would that include/ cover pandemic?

Pandemics are the next level above epidemic. If there's a pandemic, there is also an epidemic inherently.

I would look to find the text at time of agreeing, web.archive.org may be useful, as lots of places will have edited sites when things got bad and hoped nobody had copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Victor wrote: »
    That looks like it was written recently, possibly after you booked.

What did it say at the time of booking.

That was my first thought too but looks like it's been in their t and c for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

Dont forget that sometimes companies put something in their contracts that is against the law, but which most of consumers dont understand and they simply accept it like is.
    For example, I heard about a case that a landlord put in the 1 year lease (agreed for E1500 per month) that with a 30 days notice the rent price can be reviewed by the landlord and he indeed increased the rent to E1600 only 6 months later quoting point 10 in lease that "allowed" his a rent review. The Tenant took the guy to the RTB and won as the contract contained an illegal part that was put there to the advantage of the landlord.

So the T&C of your company can also include the illegal parts. I can't say that it does but I heard about many travel companies refusing a full refund and changing their T&C to the disadvantage of their consumers. I would suggest you to schedule a free legal appointment FLAC (by phone these days) with a solicitor who is an expert in consumer law. They will tell you what the law is and what you should write to the company in return.

• Advertisement
Advertisement