Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard water vs softened.

• 09-05-2020 3:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I live in a limestone area and we have a drilled well. The water is incredibly hard. A new kettle is covered in lime after a few days.
    I had an old AEG espresso machine which I put in the attic when I was drinking french press coffee. Then I changed to a moka pot for a few years.
    I recently cleaned up the old machine and it died before I got it set up. So I’m considering a new machine (probably something like a Dedica or something. Nothing too expensive in case it falls out of favour for the moka again).
    Anyway, we have a salt based softener supplying the whole house except for a tap in the kitchen which is unsoftened. Which should I use? I realise the hard water may taste better but I don’t don’t want to kill the machine in a few months or have to descale it every week.
    I’ve read that it can increase your sodium intake but also that it is minimal. I have high bp so that wouldn’t be good but then I have other ways of cutting some sodium. And I’m talking one or two espressos a day, max.
    I’ve seen pre-boiling suggested, buying distilled water (not happening), bottled water (but that’s often quite hard as well) and installing resin filtration (also not happening).
    So, thoughts (apart from I need resin filtration, a Baratza Encore and a Rocket Dual Boiler at a minimum 😄)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

il gatto wrote: »
    Hi,
    I live in a limestone area and we have a drilled well. The water is incredibly hard. A new kettle is covered in lime after a few days.
    I had an old AEG espresso machine which I put in the attic when I was drinking french press coffee. Then I changed to a moka pot for a few years.
    I recently cleaned up the old machine and it died before I got it set up. So I’m considering a new machine (probably something like a Dedica or something. Nothing too expensive in case it falls out of favour for the moka again).
    Anyway, we have a salt based softener supplying the whole house except for a tap in the kitchen which is unsoftened. Which should I use? I realise the hard water may taste better but I don’t don’t want to kill the machine in a few months or have to descale it every week.
    I’ve read that it can increase your sodium intake but also that it is minimal. I have high bp so that wouldn’t be good but then I have other ways of cutting some sodium. And I’m talking one or two espressos a day, max.
    I’ve seen pre-boiling suggested, buying distilled water (not happening), bottled water (but that’s often quite hard as well) and installing resin filtration (also not happening).
    So, thoughts (apart from I need resin filtration, a Baratza Encore and a Rocket Dual Boiler at a minimum 😄)?

I’d use your salt softened water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

Akula wrote: »
    I’d use your salt softened water.

Thanks. I was edging towards this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

il gatto wrote: »
    Hi,

Neither option. I have the same situation but there isn’t a hope in hell that I would use the water from the softener. They’re filthy. Always full of bacteria. We filter all of our kettle and coffee machine water through a Brita filter jug. It saves the machines and means that we’re not drinking bacteria riddled water.

The difference with me is that we’re on a public supply and the council won’t touch a tap with a filter to take samples for quality testing because they’re always going to high risk for bacterial contamination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

If you follow the guidelines on maintenance and cleaning this shouldn't be a big issue though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

This a funny one. Guess similar scenario - have installed the descaling system in the house and an additional water filtering system in the kitchen.
    - in past, hard water already broke beyond repair a Gaggia Classic for us.

Now my SO and I have different approach - I'd still use bottled water, he's getting the filtered water from the small tap through Britta filter.
    And then our espresso machine has its own additional water filter (- e.g, sage barrista, filter needs replacing every couple of months). While I didn't like the idea of additional cost with these - guess it improves the durability of the machine ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement