Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not yet recycled

Options
  • 09-05-2020 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭

something I keep seeing on a lot of Lidl and Aldi products, im not a militant environmentalist but try to be as eco friendly as I can. so it kind of pisses me off when I see this on products.

Like when is this packaging going to be suitable to be recycled? and if other companies can sell the same products in packaging that can be recycled then why cant Lidl and Aldi? its not good enough really,

All we hear these days is how green and eco friendly every company is but the reality is they aren't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

This issue is dependent on the material, not the retailer.

Soft plastics can't be recycled.

The Aldi packaging might mention that, other retailers packaging may not.

It is not dependent on the retailer.

You seem to be suggesting that it is a problem due to the retailer.

FALSE, as far as I know.

It is due to the material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

It’s easily recyclable - just use a lighter and watch it disappear

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The packaging should be in something that can be recycled, not something that will end up dumped into the sea. Lidl/Aldi need the packaging made to hold their products that they sell, so it is up to them to have it in material that can be recycled. The buck stops with them in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The "yet" is a vague hope for the future

Soft plastics here are burned in either the Irish Cement kilns in Platin as fuel; or the Ringsend or Platin (different site, beside the other) incinerator for waste to energy. Its not that much dissimilar to burning the oil directly in that regard.

Its not going to go away that soon; and the panic over handled products in shops means that the recent moves to non-prepacked veg will probably roll back too.

Also, its not just a Lidl/Aldi thing - its every retailer, food and non-food.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I suspected it wasn't just Aldi and Lidl, they are just what im used to seeing as I shop there most of the time.

I didnt know they burned the plastic in either the Irish Cement kilns in Platin as fuel; or the Ringsend or Platin, id say that is great to be breathing in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I didnt know they burned the plastic in either the Irish Cement kilns in Platin as fuel; or the Ringsend or Platin, id say that is great to be breathing in.

It would combust fairly completely at the extremely high temperatures involved and the end result would be similar to being near a gas fired plant.

This is not the same as uncontrolled burning in a house fireplace or a bonfire.

Its still suboptimal versus using a fully recyclable material. But when it comes to soft plastics, there isn't one. There are compostable and biodegradable (different things in this context) ones; but they are still single use.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

None of that shoite gets recycled. It gets sent to the far east to be burnt, dumped or end up in the sea.
    Wish they'd all be honest about it. Something like nine percent of plastics gets recycled on a good day.

Advertisement