Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corten cladding to Boundary wall

Options
  • 08-05-2020 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I have to replace a boundary wall this summer and am liking the idea of using corten for its appearance and lack of maintenance. The wall would be 1.8m high to replace a fence that is end of life.

To go about this I was going to get a blockwork wall built and then bring in some fabricators to design and fix panels either to the wall or to the foundations. I was not intending on bringing ina structural engineer or anything like that. Does this sound like the right way to go about it? Would anyone have any idea of cost for this sort of thing in the Dublin area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Corten is bloody expensive, like €100/sqm or more for the raw material.

What's the area of wall? Do you know what thickness of steel you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kincora2017

Lumen wrote: »
    Corten is bloody expensive, like €100/sqm or more for the raw material.

What's the area of wall? Do you know what thickness of steel you need?

I didn’t think it was anywhere near that for a sheet of raw corten. I rang Coen steel in Galway a while back and the price for a 3mm sheet was much less then that - can’t remember exactly. I don’t know steel very well much I’d imagine a 2 or 3mm sheet would be better weight wise & fixing wise. The wall is roughly 2m x 20 so 40m2 of wall to clad.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I didn’t think it was anywhere near that for a sheet of raw corten. I rang Coen steel in Galway a while back and the price for a 3mm sheet was much less then that - can’t remember exactly. I don’t know steel very well much I’d imagine a 2 or 3mm sheet would be better weight wise & fixing wise. The wall is roughly 2m x 20 so 40m2 of wall to clad.
    Would be interested in seeing the details of your quote, as when I was looking it in 2018 it was ruinously expensive (about £150 + VAT for each 1.25x1.25m sheet of 2mm).

You can see weights and rough prices here:

https://www.buymetalonline.co.uk/product/corten-steel/

I'd quote Irish websites but they never seem to put prices online.

Advertisement