Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment law advice

Options
  • 08-05-2020 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi everyone ,i work in a manufacturing company in a rural part of ireland ,we have been off for 5 weeks due to covid restrictions ,weve been paid on the scheme for the 5 weeks no problem ,with the restrictions not been lifted friday everybody taught ok were off till at least the 18th if not more .Monday the 4th we recieved a message that a full resumption of work would start from wednesday the 6th ,everyone taught this was madness no way ,its 50 employees working in sheds by the way not out doors ,we were told the night before we started to bring a full lunch as going to the local was not recommended hmmm .Also do not be out the front more or less in view of people fishy ,so i proddedd along with my day till we got a letter at 4 oclock just before finishing we recieved a gardai clearance letter as an essential service it stated we need such an such for emergency work for LIMITED HOURS ,i proceded to question the foreman that there is now way 50 men should be in these sheds that maybe yee have the go ahead for a limited crew but no way should everyone be here ,i was told if i didnt like it ya no where the door is .There was no hand washing facilities in my shed not even a yellow covid sign on the whole site i have photgraphic evidence .The next morning i went in i said im not working until you show me the documents that a full resumption of works was granted ,i was told then i was suspended, i then asked for a letter of suspension and i will be on my way ,they then retracted the suspension and asked me what my problem was i told them 1 the site is in no way ready to prevent civiod 19 and two there breaking the covid legislation by having every mployee back here full time .Managment then asked me was i refusing to work i said no if you could just show me the document to say i should be here i will gladly go in and do a days work .They proceded then to lock the gate said not to come on site your trespassing and if i didnt leave the guards would be rang for a breach of the peace ,any advice people thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Sounds like a shambolic operation but one that probably isn't too uncommon in this crisis unfortunately.

I would speak to my solicitor in the first instance and probably also the HSA or AGS even about the workplace in question operating as it is with a full complement.

It may be essential work, you haven't mentioned what it is but even if so, there would at a minimum have to be facilities for distancing and hygiene for it to be operating lawfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 robanemma

Sounds like a shambolic operation but one that probably isn't too uncommon in this crisis unfortunately.

I would speak to my solicitor in the first instance and probably also the HSA or AGS even about the workplace in question operating as it is with a full complement.

It may be essential work, you haven't mentioned what it is but even if so, there would at a minimum have to be facilities for distancing and hygiene for it to be operating lawfully.

I would rather not disclose what the buisness is for obvious reasons 😎 .Also one of foremen that had a meeting the day prior to us reopening with 7 other members of staff who are working with everyone else has since been of work with a fever and is isolating ,you coudnt make it up
    .Ive been in touch with a solicitor

robanemma wrote: »
    I would rather not disclose what the buisness is for obvious reasons 😎 .Also one of foremen that had a meeting the day prior to us reopening with 7 other members of staff who are working with everyone else has since been of work with a fever and is isolating ,you coudnt make it up
    .Ive been in touch with a solicitor

Also why when i asked for documents to show we should be working at full capacity would they not just show me ,why let it escalate ,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Sit down tonight and document everything you remember.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

But don’t document it on here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Job Gnocchi

I agree, it sounds a shambles. If no extra measures have been put in place since reopening and you really feel that there is a health risk because employees aren't physically able to distance from each other then you should report the employer to the authorities That won't of course help your own employment situation, but I personally wouldn't be in a hurry back to the premises your describing.

Sit down tonight and document everything you remember.

I have everyrhing well documented plus photographic evidence

Advertisement