Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First racing bike

Options
  • 07-05-2020 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I’m looking to get into cycling as I’m gonna be off work for a long time due to covid19. I’m still getting my full wage and looking for a cheap enough racing bike (preferably €300 or less). I’m using a mountain bike at the minute but it’s no use for long cycles.

Anyone know where to look and what did you get/pay for your first road (racing) bike?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I’m looking to get into cycling as I’m gonna be off work for a long time due to covid19. I’m still getting my full wage and looking for a cheap enough racing bike (preferably €300 or less). I’m using a mountain bike at the minute but it’s no use for long cycles.

Anyone know where to look and what did you get/pay for your first road (racing) bike?

If that’s your budget look secondhand. You will get something half decent that prob cost a grand a few moons ago. Look on adverts for giant defy, trek 1.2 or 1.5 there are plenty other good makes but these are what I’m familiar with.
    Don’t buy new at that budget- it won’t be great- or second hand ex halfords stuff tends to be not so good although some are OK.
    Most important thing- find out what size frame you need and go from there.
    But yeah it can be done on that budget. (Point of diminishing returns on new racers is about 1000€- and you should be able to get your hands on a €1000 new bike for 3-400 that has loads of life left)
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Just to post I got my first bike in nearly 30 years this week and my first ride was certainly a wobbly one .. hard to get used to how light the bikes are compared to what I was riding many years ago .
    Anyway I purchased second hand one from adverts after looking at a few .. I got a good deal on a giant which was described as a flat bar road bike. ( €220)
    So some type of hybrid I suppose, I tested out a few full road bike with drop down bars and clipless pedals but wasn’t feeling confident on those just yet.
    So I was out a few times this week up to 20 miles and loving it .. it definitely takes a bit of getting used to the gears and to ride correctly I suppose so I will practice a bit on this first before purchasing a good road bike ..
    Seems or be plenty of bargains for second hand bikes . Mine is like new with plenty of extras .. .

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Thanks for all your help. I got a Castello Stelvio Road bike brand new for a bargain at €380. Bought in Reliable Cycles phibsboro.

Photo below!

Advertisement