Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pigs Teeth?

Options
  • 07-05-2020 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

:confused: Okay, this may seem a mad question. But, I'm really curious:

Just seen where a guy, in USA, has killed a " Wild (feral) Hog " and shows said pigs tusks. Like what we associate with Wild Boars.

So, my question is; Do farm pigs grow those scary tusks? If not? How come they do ~ as well as getting hairy ~ when they go feral?

Genuinely intrigued to learn about this. Thanks :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Farm pigs do grow tusks or canine teeth but not to the extent that the wild boar do. It probably varies between the domestic breeds as well. They are usually only visible outside the mouth in older boars.

Pigs like other animals grow more hair when outside in colder seasons. Again it varies between breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Hmm. I wonder if they just naturally regress / evolve once they get free then?

This guy is in the southern states. Georgia? But, I've seen Kiwi footage of what must be the descendants of 'normal' pigs, and those things are scary as all hell! Don't seem anywhere near as big as european Wild Boar. But, every bit as hairy. And tusks just the same.

American pigs seem to vary greatly in what they turn into. I see hoards of smaller, hairy as all hell ones. Then, someone'll shoot some absolute freak of a thing. Eight foot long. Weighing like a small car. And, usually, a lot less hairy :confused:

Interesting things, pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Farm pigs do grow tusks or canine teeth but not to the extent that the wild boar do. It probably varies between the domestic breeds as well. They are usually only visible outside the mouth in older boars.

Pigs like other animals grow more hair when outside in colder seasons. Again it varies between breeds.
    Mangalica pigs would be a good example of hairy pigs.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangalica

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Think thry clip the teeth if im not mistaken

That's pretty gnarly, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Stigura wrote: »
    That's pretty gnarly, isn't it?

Bit like pulling a tooth, far better than the alternative of the piglets biting each other,

What, so, if ye didn't do that, we'd end up with 'normal' pigs running round with tusks like wild boars? :eek: Horror of horrors!

:rolleyes: Slap me, somebody. I guess there's no one dealing with feral pigs teeth. And that's exactly what Does happen!

You, sir, get tonights cigar! We've finally unravelled the mysterious case of the scary pigs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gazahayes

Piglets teeth are clipped at a few hours old to stop them both biting the sow and hurting each other as the teeth grow outwards they would be scraping the pigs mouth and face beside them. A fully grown boar will have tusks even after clipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

The teeth being clipped after birth are the baby teeth. This shouldn't have any affect on adult teeth erupting later in life. Have had the job of trimming tusks on some pigs over the years, an interesting call that. Pot bellied pigs mostly but once a huge English Black boar.

How 'funny' that This discussion should rejuvenate, today. Especially with mention of doing dentistry on something bigger.

Because ~ I swear to god! ~ only earlier this afters I was reading a thread (USA) about the various exploits of people Castrating pigs! Seems That can get quite 'Emotional ' too ~ especially the bigger they get! :D

Guess ye'd do better to start at the front end first, eh? :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement