Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power of Attorney - Personal Care Decisions

Options
  • 07-05-2020 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I am putting together a list of information required for a Power of Attorney. The financial part is ok, but am wondering if there is anything I may be missing for the Personal Care section, as I do not want to leave the decision of my medical care in the hands of someone who does not know me.

So far, I have:
    When are with whom you will live with.
    Life Sustaining Treatment
    Medical Treatment Required
    Training/Rehabilitation

Is there anything else I should consider?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Suggest you talk to the solicitor who is advising on the P of A.
    Leaving open for general discussion subject to f0rum rules

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nutty Nutritionist

nuac wrote: »
    Mod
    Suggest you talk to the solicitor who is advising on the P of A.
    Leaving open for general discussion subject to f0rum rules

Thanks. I do have instructions from my solicitor. Just thought there maybe something general I hadn’t thought of. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,348 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

if your solicitor is experienced in drawing up an enduring power of attorney (i assume that this what you are referring to) they will know exactly what has to be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I am putting together a list of information required for a Power of Attorney. The financial part is ok, but am wondering if there is anything I may be missing for the Personal Care section, as I do not want to leave the decision of my medical care in the hands of someone who does not know me.

So far, I have:
    When are with whom you will live with.
    Life Sustaining Treatment
    Medical Treatment Required
    Training/Rehabilitation

Is there anything else I should consider?
    Personal data.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Someone with EPOA under current legislation cannot mage decisions about your medical treatment or life-sustaining treatments.

Under the proposed new legislation, you would have to appoint a health care representative to make those decisions and even then there will be a limit to what they can decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nutty Nutritionist

Someone with EPOA under current legislation cannot mage decisions about your medical treatment or life-sustaining treatments.

Under the proposed new legislation, you would have to appoint a health care representative to make those decisions and even then there will be a limit to what they can decide.

Thank you.

Advertisement