Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on which professionals

Options
  • 07-05-2020 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I’ve a large back garden, lots of ideas/notions and no budget. Currently I’m nearing the end of the jungle/garden clearance.

So I need to build a 44m long party wall which will need foundations and probably should be poured. While I’m pouring of course I should pour the foundation of a block shed/garden room. But I’ll need guidance on how deep the trench should be and what type of wall is safest over such a long distance etc.

So with these ideas and more, I need a plan that I can work away at over the next few years - design, trees, what outdoor furniture to buy, lighting, landscaping, patio etc. With that in mind, I’m not sure who I need for advice and guidance
    - a garden designer
    - an architect
    - a structural engineer
    - a chartered building surveyor.

Would appreciate any guidance on who would be the best person to talk to?

(In fact, we had a notion that the room at the back of the garden could be used as digs or short term rental etc / so advice their would be great also).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

For the moment I think you need an engineer to design the foundations for the wall and they should have knowledge of the planning regulations to allow for the max height without planning (2m) and the sun structure for the shed which will remain exempt unless you apply for planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

can you get a digger in for the foundations.
    assuming normal soil and no steps in level a 900 wide foundation would support a 4" solid block wall on flat with piers, and foundations to match every 6 m, as well as expansion joints for the wall.
    some rebar in the foundations as well
    Same for the shed, just nice and wide and simple
    The digs use will require planning which you wont get.
    as its a party wall
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/27/enacted/en/print#part8-chap3

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭karlitob

Gumbo wrote: »
    For the moment I think you need an engineer to design the foundations for the wall and they should have knowledge of the planning regulations to allow for the max height without planning (2m) and the sun structure for the shed which will remain exempt unless you apply for planning.

Thanks for that.

What is the ‘sun structure’?

Will they be able to do the other things above? I guess why I ask is that I’m tempted to get a brick wall or perhaps block wall rendered with brick piers and want to make sure that the brick chosen suits the design of the garden. Would they do design? Or would a designer or architect be able to do the engineering part also?

assuming normal soil and no steps in level a 900 wide foundation would support a 4" solid block wall on flat with piers, and foundations to match every 6 m, as well as expansion joints for the wall.
    as its a party wall

Thank you.

I had presumed it would be relatively straightforward. It’s a straight wall, level land, normal soil.

Unfortunately I won’t get a digger in - 26.5” max width of side access so it’ll be by hand, though I don’t mind.

Can I ask
    - if 900mm wide, what depth is typical?
    - does the foundation need to be wider at the piers?

- I’ve a notion to put in brick (or at least brick piers, and render the block). Any insights into that?

Understand about the digs. I had meant a separate building within our land but not near or adjoining the party wall. Is that what would meant?

as its a party wall

Thank you.

I had presumed it would be relatively straightforward. It’s a straight wall, level land, normal soil.

Unfortunately I won’t get a digger in - 26.5” max width of side access so it’ll be by hand, though I don’t mind.

Can I ask
    - if 900mm wide, what depth is typical?
    - does the foundation need to be wider at the piers?

- I’ve a notion to put in brick (or at least brick piers, and render the block). Any insights into that?

Understand about the digs. I had meant a separate building within our land but not near or adjoining the party wall. Is that what would meant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

the narrowest digger is 28"

the depth is related to the frost line and the risk of frost heave so look online.
    When I dug by hand I got a smaller breaker with a 4" flat chisel on it and used it to first mark out the two edges, using boards and then to chop off the next slice while you are down in the trench.
    It was also useful for cutting roots as was this baby
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Root-Cutter-Mutt-Heavy-Scraping/dp/B00AFMQ7FK

If the trench walls are neat then no need for side formwork, just pegs driven along the middle to show the required depth of mix and a small vibrator to help it level.
    ps: yes the pier foundations heed to be bigger, its the 1/3-2/3 split again

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

the narrowest digger is 28"

the depth is related to the frost line and the risk of frost heave so look online.
    When I dug by hand I got a smaller breaker with a 4" flat chisel on it and used it to first mark out the two edges, using boards and then to chop off the next slice while you are down in the trench.
    It was also useful for cutting roots as was this baby
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Root-Cutter-Mutt-Heavy-Scraping/dp/B00AFMQ7FK

If the trench walls are neat then no need for side formwork, just pegs driven along the middle to show the required depth of mix and a small vibrator to help it level.
    ps: yes the pier foundations heed to be bigger, its the 1/3-2/3 split again

Understood - ⅓ :⅔ split.

Actually have one of those spud bars - excellent tool, I’ve a billongton adaze to go with it and a bulldog shirt handle spade. Excellent hand tools to help me get the job done.

Can I ask one more bit of advice?

I’d like a wall - and I have notions of building it myself. I’ve built a few small walls before and I’m quite handy. But there’s also concrete posts and fence panels. Now I have an aversion to them for some reason - but they are cheaper, easier to install, less can go wrong; actually some of them don’t look half bad particularly if I paint them.

https://www.abwood.ie/shop/fence-panels/tongue-grooved-fencing

I’ve a wall on the other side that I’ll render and paint. I really want a high spec back garden so wonder if both styles would go together.

Any opinion on the differences between concrete post and panel v a wall?

Advertisement