Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to finish house

Options
  • 07-05-2020 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing an unfinished house, roughly 2400sqft, (I won't name where), the structure is pretty much complete as far as ext. walls, roof and partition walls (just stud work) is complete. I assume that that there are some services connected but this is yet to be confirmed

I am wondering does anybody have an idea on the cost to finish this ie. Wiring, plumbing, heating, and if services have not been connected an average cost.

Also, I have a carpentry background so all second fixing, internal joinery, kitchen fitting and even slabbing the walls i could do myself.

I understand every build varys, but any help or anyone with previous experience on this would be hugely appreciated

PS. I know it's quite a big house to take on, but I like the site and the design of the house lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Dkel95 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am considering purchasing an unfinished house, roughly 2400sqft, (I won't name where), the structure is pretty much complete as far as ext. walls, roof and partition walls (just stud work) is complete. I assume that that there are some services connected but this is yet to be confirmed

I am wondering does anybody have an idea on the cost to finish this ie. Wiring, plumbing, heating, and if services have not been connected an average cost.

Also, I have a carpentry background so all second fixing, internal joinery, kitchen fitting and even slabbing the walls i could do myself.

I understand every build varys, but any help or anyone with previous experience on this would be hugely appreciated

PS. I know it's quite a big house to take on, but I like the site and the design of the house lol

i'd say about a third to two fifths of the expense of a house would be consumed to get to the stage you are at (excluding site purchase, fees, engineers fees etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dkel95

bfclancy wrote: »
    i'd say about a third to two fifths of the expense of a house would be consumed to get to the stage you are at (excluding site purchase, fees, engineers fees etc)

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking roughly that myself! Any idea what it would take to finish it? Not to a perfect standard but a decent finish all the same. I know this is pretty vague and not a huge amount of information given but something to work with.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is the work up to this point signed off on by an engineer ?
    Could be tricky otherwise ( especially if there's a mortgage involved )
    A lot could depend on how you finish things .size of the house ,number of bathrooms ect ,insulation and air tightness ( which will have a major bearing on your heating and ventilation costs)
    If your tight for cash start small ... Put in your less than ideal kitchen ,paint concrete floors if you need to , but don't skimp on pipe and wiring if you think you want an ensuite somewhere stick in pipe and wire for it ,( my parents have an non suite in one bedroom for the last 15 years ) , and don't skimp on airtightness either ...
    My dad always reckoned that when you were weather tight you were halfway there costwise ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dkel95

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is the work up to this point signed off on by an engineer ?
    Could be tricky otherwise ( especially if there's a mortgage involved )
    A lot could depend on how you finish things .size of the house ,number of bathrooms ect ,insulation and air tightness ( which will have a major bearing on your heating and ventilation costs)
    If your tight for cash start small ... Put in your less than ideal kitchen ,paint concrete floors if you need to , but don't skimp on pipe and wiring if you think you want an ensuite somewhere stick in pipe and wire for it ,( my parents have an non suite in one bedroom for the last 15 years ) , and don't skimp on airtightness either ...
    My dad always reckoned that when you were weather tight you were halfway there costwise ...

As far as I know the work wasn't signed off. Was built c. 2006-2008 and subsequently repossessed and sold again.

The well is sunk but not the septic tank and has been first fix plumbed.

As regards air tightness and insulation, it may have to be A3 rated to be signed off, I'm not 100% on the depending on planning

Speaking of planning, will planning have to be renewed on it? As the roof is already in place I didn't think so, but as regards opinion planning I'm not too sure, any advice on this?

Thanks

Advertisement