Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blinds in a child's bedroom

Options
  • 07-05-2020 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

We're getting new blinds in both of our kids bedrooms, they are ages 7 and 5.
    Are the ones with the side pullie control safe for those ages? The blind company said they provide safety devices to tie them up.
    Or is it best to go with spring loaded blinds?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They seem old enough to be taught how to use them.

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

"Safety device" is just a clip to hold the pull cord against the wall at whatever height you put it at.

If your child is tall enough to reach the pull cord on a standard window then surely they are smart enough to not have to worry about it in the first place?

It's more an issue on windows where the pull cord would be otherwise reachable by very small children.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

We got new blinds a couple of years ago.

The cord is in a loop and a clip is screwed into the wall. The screw keeps the cord in place so the cord can't be removed from the clip.

The cord itself comes about halfway down the window.... I presume the length would depend on window size. Its very flush against the wall.

My kids are younger than yours and I've no concerns about it.... Though I don't think the cord is on either of their radars tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Thanks for the replies.
    I read that the most at risk age group is under 6's. I'm pretty certain my eldest would be fine. My 5 year old is quite curious. I think I'll ensure the cord is on the side that is not close to her bed or anything she could climb up on to reach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Thanks for the replies.
    I read that the most at risk age group is under 6's. I'm pretty certain my eldest would be fine. My 5 year old is quite curious. I think I'll ensure the cord is on the side that is not close to her bed or anything she could climb up on to reach it.

If it’s a pullie mechanism get the plastic ones that disconnect if any weight applied. They’re the ones we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭ax530

I have roller blinds in kids room
    They are safe the cord is in a loop screwed to wall. I got them put in short enough so as is hard for a child to reach cord to open blind.
    I believe this is regulations now so all companies will fit like this.
    My previous house has blind where the cord was longer when they up these are more difficult to make safe.
    The dangers with blind not just in bedrooms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

ax530 wrote: »
    I have roller blinds in kids room
    They are safe the cord is in a loop screwed to wall. I got them put in short enough so as is hard for a child to reach cord to open blind.
    I believe this is regulations now so all companies will fit like this.
    My previous house has blind where the cord was longer when they up these are more difficult to make safe.
    The dangers with blind not just in bedrooms

Thanks for sharing the photo. That's great that's it's screwed into the wall like that. I hope mine will be the same. Looks very safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Thanks for sharing the photo. That's great that's it's screwed into the wall like that. I hope mine will be the same. Looks very safe.

Those metal blind pulls are illegal now. So shops aren’t installing them anymore. We have a couple in our house that we have secured in the same manner. But More than likely if you are buying new you will have a plastic one with safety collapse if you go for that mechanism as ships won’t stock the metal ones anymore.

Advertisement