Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this look right?

Options
  • 06-05-2020 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I was straightening my back wheel today and noticed that the back wheel seems to have some resistance when spinning, so even though I got it fairly "true" it wouldn't spin for long at all.

I noticed that the rod of the back wheel that fits onto the frame seems to spin metal against metal - is this the way it's supposed to be?

The photos below show the rod both in and out of the bike frame, the green arrows pointing to the same bit of the rod which is the outermost bit of the rod that spins (i.e this is the bit that sits into the frame in which it spins.

Thank you

EDIT: Should have mentioned that the bike is resting upside down in the bottom photo!

zQohvtQ.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if the threaded part spins in the dropouts (the 'hook' that they sit into), you've a banjaxed wheel. this should not spin.

once the wheel is clamped in place, the red line i've drawn here is the boundary between 'what should stay stationary/what should spin'.
    anything below the line should not move.

511973.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Take the wheel off the bike, hold the axle in both hands and spin the wheel. To me, it looks like the axle/axle bearings are probably siezed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Damn, I guess it's banjaxed so. I was just cycling along and suddenly the bike was bent out of shape - maybe I went over a little hole/bump in the tarmac or something. It's never happened to me before, is it just one of those things?

I got it fairly straight with a spoke wrench but will probably just need to get a new wheel now?

I have a vague memory of the bike repair guy saying that some of the bearings were missing/broken but there were enough in there for it to be usable still. Guess that's reached its limit.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Take the wheel off the bike, hold the axle in both hands and spin the wheel. To me, it looks like the axle/axle bearings are probably siezed.

When I spin it in both hands the plastic cap and the metal lever cap stay stationary but everything else rotates.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cianos wrote: »

zQohvtQ.jpg

Is it just me or does the spoke to left of the drop out look broken....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Cianos wrote: »
    When I spin it in both hands the plastic cap and the metal lever cap stay stationary but everything else rotates.

The axle is siezed so. That’s the quick release squewer that’s spinning inside the axle. Unscrew the black cap and remove the squewer. Then spin the wheel. If everything spins, the axle is siezed or at very least, the axle cones are too tight.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    The axle is siezed so. That’s the quick release squewer that’s spinning inside the axle. Unscrew the black cap and remove the squewer. Then spin the wheel. If everything spins, the axle is siezed or at very least, the axle cones are too tight.

Thanks, I'll give that a go tomorrow

Advertisement