Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a Separation Agreement needed for social housing application?

Options
  • 06-05-2020 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm separating from my wife of many years, and due to being on an illness payment I will not be able to afford accommodation.

I was told in order to get HAP or anything like it, that I would need to apply for social housing in order to get some code or serial number that can be used with the social welfare officer or HAP.
    I completed and sent in the Social Housing Application form which was returned as there was no Separation agreement with it.

Is this Separation Agreement needed to apply for Social Housing? I had checked with Citizens Advice and they had told me I wouldn't need it?

I have applied for Legal Aid, but haven't heard anything back from them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

If your name is on the title of a house then you will need legal proof that you are separating and will be in need of accommodation. As without then you are seen as having somewhere to live and wouldnt be accepted to the housing list or hap

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

If you own property, you generally need a separation agreement to be placed fully on the housong list. Alternatively if you sell the property and the proceeds are not enough to house you, then that's OK too.

However, if you have a housing need and cannot live in the house you own because an ex is living there, you can be placed on the list provisionally. This means that although you will not be provided with a council house until the joint property is disposed of, you can still get HAP.

They are likely to ask for a lot of detail, explore how much equity is in the property, and why it cant be sold at this stage, so it can take some time, but it can be done.

Advertisement