Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice period - paid or not?

Options
  • 06-05-2020 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

My employer called me last Friday evening after close of business and sadly let me go with immediate effect. I have been with the company for about 11 months and working from home for the last 5 weeks - without issue. He had put us on the Wage Subsidy Scheme but seemingly cocked it up by missing submissions to Revenue, thus losing access to the scheme. He was apparently unwilling/unable to pay our wages any further as a result.

Anyway, long story short: He paid me for my last week of work on Tuesday but did not include payment for my 7 days of annual leave owed. I have been chasing him but he's gone dark on me now.

Also: am I owed a week's pay in lieu of sufficient notice being served? One week's notice is required, no? Is that still relevant under Covid-19 changes?

Also, he has not yet adjusted his account with Revenue to indicate that my employment has ceased.

I can normally source this info myself but the virus has muddied all the waters for me. Any info/advice/guidance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

about 11 months
    How close to the 12 month mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

My employer called me last Friday evening after close of business and sadly let me go with immediate effect. I have been with the company for about 11 months and working from home for the last 5 weeks - without issue. He had put us on the Wage Subsidy Scheme but seemingly cocked it up by missing submissions to Revenue, thus losing access to the scheme. He was apparently unwilling/unable to pay our wages any further as a result.

Anyway, long story short: He paid me for my last week of work on Tuesday but did not include payment for my 7 days of annual leave owed. I have been chasing him but he's gone dark on me now.

Also: am I owed a week's pay in lieu of sufficient notice being served? One week's notice is required, no? Is that still relevant under Covid-19 changes?

Also, he has not yet adjusted his account with Revenue to indicate that my employment has ceased.

I can normally source this info myself but the virus has muddied all the waters for me. Any info/advice/guidance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

What's your notice period in your contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

the_syco wrote: »
    How close to the 12 month mark?

June 4th was my start date last year. Last friday was my last day. Why? Does that have a bearing? Isn't it 13 weeks to two years only requires the one week of notice?

What's your notice period in your contract?

I never actually got a contract from him so statutory minimum of one week I have been assuming. Isn't that right?

He never even took note of my next of kin should something have happened either. Pfft. Great job, so it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

June 4th was my start date last year. Last friday was my last day. Why? Does that have a bearing? Isn't it 13 weeks to two years only requires the one week of notice?
    Generally speaking, you can be let go for pretty much anything under a year. After a year, they have to provide a reason.

• Advertisement

I never actually got a contract from him so statutory minimum of one week I have been assuming. Isn't that right?

He never even took note of my next of kin should something have happened either. Pfft. Great job, so it was!

What was in your job offer? They would have had to have laid out notice periods etc in that if not 1 week is mandatory

Generally speaking, you can be let go for pretty much anything under a year. After a year, they have to provide a reason.

There are more and more cases of people being awarded unfair dismissal within their first year so its not all cut and dry

Ah, I'm less concerned with getting a reason as I am about getting the week's pay for immediate cessation of the employment and my A/L to be honest. His cock-up with the WSS was the reason for sure. Idiot, that he is!

What was in your job offer? They would have had to have laid out notice periods etc in that if not 1 week is mandatory

We had a conversation about salary and start date. That was it. I just turned up and started working for the money. I've never seen such an inexperienced MD before but the location/pay suited so i just rolled with it.

We had a conversation about salary and start date. That was it. I just turned up and started working for the money. I've never seen such an inexperienced MD before but the location/pay suited so i just rolled with it.

Looks like 1 week then, better than nothing

• Advertisement

Looks like 1 week then, better than nothing

If I can get it! Long road ahead I suspect. Thanks for your help.

If I can get it! Long road ahead I suspect. Thanks for your help.

No bother best of luck in the future

Advertisement