Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen flooring

Options
  • 06-05-2020 7:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

We have selected AC5 laminated flooring for our home including the kitchen. The builder is asking if we want the full kitchen to be laminated or to leave areas where counter tops, cooking stove, cabinets, etc are to be fitted.

I am wondering which way is it better? Is it normal to have the flooring done first, and then install cabinets, stove, etc.?
    It's a new built home.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

I'd always run the flooring right around.

From the plus side, if you ever change around the layout - you don't get caught out with gaps, etc. Also, it often leads to a better finish with the floors going in first.

On the negative side, it will cost you more (but I would say only slightly in the grand scheme of things). Also - you need to ensure the floor is protected as best you can when other trades are in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks for your suggestion.

Only concern I have is washing machine and dishwasher will be on top of laminated flooring. If there is a water leak, would this cause huge damage?

Can you suggest any other material that can be used in the area where washing machine and dishwasher are?
    tedimc wrote: »
    I'd always run the flooring right around.

From the plus side, if you ever change around the layout - you don't get caught out with gaps, etc. Also, it often leads to a better finish with the floors going in first.

On the negative side, it will cost you more (but I would say only slightly in the grand scheme of things). Also - you need to ensure the floor is protected as best you can when other trades are in the house.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Only concern I have is washing machine and dishwasher will be on top of laminated flooring. If there is a water leak, would this cause huge damage?

Can you suggest any other material that can be used in the area where washing machine and dishwasher are?

Amount of damage really depends on the amount of water. I would tend to always tile, but I wouldn't change your plans just because of that. For example, I have raised our washer and dryer up in a kitchen unit. If we get a leak, there is a good chance the unit may need to be replaced - but the benefits outweigh any risks.

You would also need to worry about the water escaping under the boards.

However - you could look at some of the water leak protection valves and I know most dishwashers have an auto valve shutoff in case of water escaping.

For example,

I think the link is missing from your post.

Also, what do you mean by "raised our washer.." is washing machine located on a higher location whereby you could see a potential leak?
    Amount of damage really depends on the amount of water. I would tend to always tile, but I wouldn't change your plans just because of that. For example, I have raised our washer and dryer up in a kitchen unit. If we get a leak, there is a good chance the unit may need to be replaced - but the benefits outweigh any risks.

You would also need to worry about the water escaping under the boards.

However - you could look at some of the water leak protection valves and I know most dishwashers have an auto valve shutoff in case of water escaping.

For example,

I think the link is missing from your post.

Also, what do you mean by "raised our washer.." is washing machine located on a higher location whereby you could see a potential leak?

Sorry - it didn’t paste;
    https://uk-m.banggood.com/WLD-806-Water-Leak-Detector-Alarm-System-for-Home-Security-DN15-DN20-DN25-Water-Leakage-Flood-Alter-Overflow-Detection-p-1571337.html?gmcCountry=IE&currency=EUR&cur_warehouse=CN&createTmp=1&ID=528992&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgcs&utm_content=haosen&utm_campaign=ssc-ieg-all-0403-19cov&ad_id=429943053271&gclid=CjwKCAjwwMn1BRAUEiwAZ_jnEuneG6ExNE2ELZuw4yyg7j2qklPQr42E91vOaZx9hxRMpV9FzgSx3hoCR3wQAvD_BwE

Re the raised washing machine , see attached. I’m not recommending this approach, I’m just highlighting that I would not let the worry of a leak override aesthetic or practicality decisions.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link. I can see the device now, although it will be an added expense.

I am looking at the vinyl flooring which is water proof. The washing machine and dishwasher are located in a separate room, next to the kitchen. So maybe in that area we can get something more tougher.

Thanks for the link. I can see the device now, although it will be an added expense.

I am looking at the vinyl flooring which is water proof. The washing machine and dishwasher are located in a separate room, next to the kitchen. So maybe in that area we can get something more tougher.

Are you going to walk in and out of the kitchen loading and unloading the dishwasher?

It’s good to isolate the washing machine, but I’m not sure about the practicality of the dishwasher.

Vinyl would be a good option too.

Yes, it's like less than 10 steps away, in a small room. Even in our current house, washing machine and dishwasher are placed in another room.

I will check if vinyl are cheaper than laminate.
    Are you going to walk in and out of the kitchen loading and unloading the dishwasher?

It’s good to isolate the washing machine, but I’m not sure about the practicality of the dishwasher.

Vinyl would be a good option too.

Advertisement